Monday, June 04, 2007

Ya Gotta Love it

It feels good to sit quietly at the computer, taking deep cleansing breaths, and thinking over the whirlwind that was our weekend . . .

Friday began with a family trip to the mall to take advantage of some sales (since it's about an hour's drive, I believe we may have saved almost as much as we spent on gas to get there and back!), and ended with our last pre-marital counseling session with the couple Danny will be marrying this Saturday. This is something we've begun doing together as Danny has been asked to do more weddings, and we've both thouroughly enjoyed the process.

Saturday was pretty much devoted to graduation, and graduation parties. It was the hottest, muggiest day we've had so far, and the kids were drenched about 15 minutes into the first party. But the really great thing was . . . a day off from cooking! It's crazy to think that the students in this year's graduating class were entering 8th grade when we first moved here; how time flies. I really don't think the gym could possibly have been more crowded, or more suffocatingly hot, during the ceremony, but I did appreciate the fact that at least I wasn't wearing a suit & tie, or cap & gown!

Sunday I drove with my Dad and Rachel to see Sarah (my sister) and her husband Anthony and their new baby, Addie May. My mom had been there all week and came back home with us. Addie was even more adorable in person than in her pictures; there's just something extra special about nieces and nephews, I think. She spent about an hour sleeping on my chest, and Rachel got to spend quite a bit of time holding and feeding her. I have never seen my little girl light up like she does when she's holding a tiny baby; she's more comfortable with them at 4 than I was at 24!

Since our church service Sunday was in the park (no child care) and Danny preached, Zekers and Kari Bou spent the morning and afternoon with Grandma and Grandpa Wright, and enjoyed a day of sleeping, playing and running through the sprinkler. It was just what they needed after Saturday's craziness. Danny brought them back home and they went to one more graduation party, where I'm told Karis consumed a record number of meatballs.

This morning, I left the kids with a friend and headed to municipal court to pay (literally) for my criminal behavior several weeks ago. I don't believe I have ever seen the inside of a real courtroom before and it was fascinating. The room was packed with criminals like me, and just before 9:00, a whole line of men (and 1 woman) in black-and-white striped prison garb, chained together, was marched to the front. We watched a taped introduction by the judge, heard all about maximum penalties and plea options and such; if the goal was to make us nervous, it sure worked on me!

When your name was called, you walked to the podium by the judge, heard the charges brought against you as well as the maximum penalties for each, and were asked to enter a plea. I was there because I had received 2 tickets - one for speeding and the other for driving with an expired license; of course I pleaded "guilty" to both - I was guilty as sin. The judge was actually pretty nice and very efficient. I received a $25 fine (plus court costs) for the speeding ticket, and no additional fine for the other ticket! When I walked out of there, I realized I was actually shaking - what a crazy experience.

Now for the high point of the day (drumroll, please) . . . We saw unmistakable evidence this afternoon, via ultrasound, that Rach, Zekers and Kari Bou will be getting a little brother in October! I would have been excited either way (especially after being around little Addie yesterday), but I have to say I'm a little relieved. With both girls I've experienced severe pain and numbness in both hands and into my arms for the last half of the pregnancy. Also, I've lost a good deal of hearing while pregnant with each of the girls. With Zekers I had none of the above, so I'm hoping the same will be true this time. So far, so good!

Rach is excited about having a baby brother, especially since she went with us to see the ultrasound this afternoon. Zekers is pretty much cool with whatever, and Kari Bou doesn't seem to grasp the concept that there isn't a baby in every protrusion on the front of me! I had some really fun times with the kiddos today, one of which was all four of us sitting on the porch swing, eating popcicles made from juice. I think it's kind of funny that Rach won't drink juice anymore, but stick it in the freezer for a while and give it to her on a stick and she thinks it's the best thing she's ever tasted! We also got to see a real live rainbow in the evening. And I'll spare you the pictures I took of Zekers in nothing but Spiderman underwear, sunglasses and Mommy's flip-flops . . .

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm so excited for all of you! i just realized that your four will be exactly the opposite order of ours - boy, girl, boy, girl. that's probably because danny doesn't like the niv word order and stuff like we do :p i'm sure his way is the right way, though. at the very least it's the wright way.

i know, that whole paragraph was lame. except for the first line.

and i wish i could have seen a picture of zekers in the get-up you described at the end of your post...

Charity said...

~d - remind me and sometime I'll give you a private viewing (Danny made me promise not to put those pictures up on the blog) Poor Zekers.

Brooke said...

Congrats on another boy! It was interesting to read about your courtroom experience. Very intimidating! Those of us who haven't gone through it will be thinking twice about speeding. I would have been freaked out by that experience.
(Brooke)

Charity said...

well, at the very least, just don't speed while in possession of an expired license!

Anonymous said...

Great news, Charity - another boy! I'm so happy for you! Now the name discussions can pick up speed, right? I bet Danny has a good idea or two for a boy name. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited that you're having a boy! How wonderful for Zekers to have a brother! And, I can't believe that you only got a $25 fine. My last one was over $100. Maybe showing up in court is worth it?

Charity said...

Susan - so far Danny's best attempts at names have been "Athanatius" and "Machaiah" - I don't have a clue how either one of them is spelled. so if our son is going to have a chance of not getting beat up at school, Danny may need to be relieved of his job as chief name-picker . . .

Tarah - If it wasn't for the court costs I might think going to court was worth it, but i ended up actually paying $101 after court costs. *sigh*