Monday, March 23, 2009

A Doggone Good Time

About a year after birth of our fourth child, we decided to do away with "friend" birthday parties until the 5th birthday, and then go every other year from there. I guess Kari Bou and Mr. Moo get the short end of that stick, as both Rach and Zekers got birthday parties at age 4. I really enjoy having their friends over and doing "theme" parties, but 4 each year was seeming like a bit much.



We have been counting down the days until Zekers' 5th birthday (the 27th) for the last 40 days. I have never seen a child so excited about . .. anything! And for the past several months, he's asked to have a sleepover, of all things. I tried to persuade him Chuck E. Cheese's would be much more fun, to no avail. He's had his little heart set on a dog-themed sleepover. And I know it - I'm a total sucker when it comes to my baby boys!

Danny and I used this as an opportunity to instruct Zekers on how to be a good host -making sure everyone was included, sharing his stuff, being grateful for his gifts, etc. He was such a hoot: he insisted on personally coloring everyone a picture of a dog to include with the invitation we printed off; the day before the party he asked if we could clean up the basement in preparation for the party; he helped decorate the cake; and he drove us absolutely NUTS the day of the party, asking about every 20 minutes how much time until the party started.




He had 3 friends over for hot dogs, puppy chow, Scooby treats, and Space Buddies. They ate cake and ice cream out of real dog dishes and had fun running around the house yelling. What a difference between this and Rachel's princess party a few years ago! It was quite the entertaining evening. They "camped out" in the basement, in a tent Danny created out of old bedsheets, and everyone was asleep by 11. Not bad.

At this point, I absolutely must give a shout-out to Danny, who should be nominated for "Husband of the Year." He gave up an evening of watching basketball with a bunch of friends to help me out with a bunch of kiddos. Not only that, he helped all day Friday - running errands, helping with cleaning and laundry and dishes and muchkin control. I call that a good husband and Daddy!

The next morning, Rachel, Karis and I left at 8 and drove to Troy Christian School for her first ever Sparks-O-Rama competition. She's been practicing for weeks with her Sparks team, and had a blast at the actual event. I can't really even describe the different games they participate in - you just have to be there! It's not overly-competitive for this age group (K - 2nd), but their team did end up winning 2nd place (out of 3 teams - they had a group of 4 teams and a group of 3 teams competing against each other), so they were all thrilled.

Afterward, the three of us girls ate lunch at Taco Bell and then, for a special treat, we split a scoop of frozen custard (with sprinkles!) at Culvers. Good times.

Over all, it was an enjoyable weekend - especially the nap I took after we got home from Sparks-O-Rama!


Waiting for the games to begin


The "Sparky Crawl"


Proud as punch

10 comments:

Jodi Bradshaw said...

I like the cake (yeah for family fun)! Looks like Zeke had a great time with his friends. I bet you are glad for your crazy weekend to be over with. :)

JanAl said...

You are very creative! I love your birthday party themes, very cool! And Awana games are fun to watch, except for the 2nd half, I could not watch very well, when Asher got fussy, and Daniel had fits.
At least my kids had fun! (I am getting spoiled, by having older kids to help, and entertain) ;]

Kati said...

I wonder if Zekers had been talking about his b-day party in Sunday School? Because recently, just out of the blue, Gabe has started talking about having a sleep-over for his 5th birthday, (which is not for 7 months yet! :) And I'm like you: "Doesn't Chuck E.'s sound MUCH more fun???" (wink)
You are a brave girl, Charity!!

Anonymous said...

hey, i'm thinking you should keep the dog dishes and plan for a similar graduation party theme :) it will be here before you know it!

Margaret said...

I so admire you moms that faithfully have birthday parties for your kids. I guess it's just not my forte'. I did manage it for the 16th, but...I hope my kids aren't eternally wounded for their mom's lack of initiative. :) :)
Cute cake!
And yes, cheers to the dad!

~~anna~~ said...

Sounds like a really fun birthday! So in keeping with the party theme, did he get a real puppy for his gift from you? :)

JanAl said...

anna~ I was thinking the same thing, where is the real doggy?

Charity said...

We'll get a real dog when the kids are old (read: "responsible") enough to take care of it!! :)

Jodi Bradshaw said...

When I was a teenager I did not help my mom (notice I did not say parents) with the pets. You may be waiting for a while. :)

marilyn66 said...

Margaret, I think Charity is making up for her lack of parties growing up! I think she had one at age 5, and 16. If thee were any other ones, I cannot remember! I'm like you on that one!