Saturday, February 25, 2006

Girlfriend Appreciation Week

Women are beautiful!!

It's not that I've never noticed this before. But this weekend I had the privilege of spending time with, and learning from, some pretty amazing girlfriends. (Men, I think you are wonderful, too, but this particular post is dedicated to the women who have lately touched my heart.)

I didn't want to go on this retreat. In fact, the thought running through my mind as we took off was, "I just want to make it through this crazy week, and I can't wait until it's over." Truth be told, I've always been a cynic when it comes to events like this, but hey, I go because it's the good little pastor's wife thing to do!

So, armed with this great attitude, I entered the first session.

Over the course of Friday evening and Saturday morning, we listened to six different women share their testimonies and challenge us from God's Word. These sisters bared their souls: they spoke with transparency, with conviction and passion. They spoke of their own disappointment, failure, fear, and pain. They spoke of restoration and healing. Most of all, they spoke of Christ.

The message came through loud and clear. It's NOT about me and what I'm doing for God (as if He needed my help!). I can make myself crazy trying to "be all things to all people" in my own strength! It's about being broken before my Savior, realizing that He alone, in His astounding grace, can lift me from the ashes of myself to walk beside Him. It's all God and Who He is and what He's done. More of Him, less of me!

And that wasn't all.

With God, nothing is accidental (not even a third child!). I firmly believe He placed my 2 roommates and I together at this very specific time for a very specific purpose. We shopped so hard on the way down that we almost missed dinner; we laughed at the dumbest things; we had one of the most gut-level honest conversations I've ever been a part of; we cried, and cried out to God, together before falling into bed around 1am (then we laughed some more).

How often does someone invite you into her very soul - unabashedly revealing the stains and the scars, and the breathtaking beauty that is there because of Christ? Every woman has a story - a story that needs to be shared. After this weekend, I just want to grab every woman I know - heck, even some I don't know! - give you a big hug and tell each of you how lovely you are.

Thanks to all of you, and to God, who created beauty in the first place.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you are able to get away and recharge your batteries and I am so glad God has given you so many girlfriends. You are so loveable! Your positive attitude and heart for the Lord draw women to you.

MM

Gary Underwood said...

Seriously, an encouraging, uplifting post. i have to get Jennie to read this sometime soon.

I also want to hear Danny post about how much he enjoys his "boyfriends" after the men's retreat this weekend!

Good stuff, Charity!