Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Snowbash 2006

I've grown up knowing about God's grace and unconditional love. Why, then, does it surprise me when He actually extends it to me in ways I never imagined, with gifts I never thought to request?

This weekend was one such gift. Danny spoke for Snowbash, a Youth For Christ event held every winter in Southern Ohio at Shawnee State Park. A week before the event, they called to invite the whole family to accompany him. Although we rejoiced at the the chance to be together, none of us had any idea what to expect.

We stayed in an adorable cabin, complete with fireplace and fridge/cabinets crammed with enough food to last a month. The main lodge housed a large swimming pool, a hot tub, a gameroom, and a duck display, which got Zekers all giddy. The staff, counselors and students were wonderful, crazy people you couldn't help but feel drawn to.

In ways I can't even explain, moments from this trip will stay with me always: Zeke & Rach splashing happily in the pool; reading by the fire after the kids went to bed (that part was a bit surreal!); watching snow fall on the trees outside our cabin; yes, even my hairspray freezing in the cabinet. And Rachel asking us on the way there, "Mommy, where is there no snow?" Me: "I don't know." Rachel: "Snowbash!"

I got to see Danny in several different capacities - gifted speaker, devoted father, attentive husband. We came back refreshed and relaxed . . . well, at least refreshed!
Praise God for unexpected gifts.

2 comments:

Lauren Mott said...

that's awesome, charity. i can still remember distinct things that God taught me and gave me at various snowbashes...i miss it! have a good week :)

lyndie said...

i went to one snowbash. i remember: seeing "the princess bride" for the first time on the busride down; sharing a toothbrush with my sick best friend and getting sick later; learning to swing and country line-dance; unexpectedly making friends with cabin mates and counselor 3 yrs younger and older than i and having encouraging discussions about faith; and, of course, no snow!