Thursday, April 27, 2006

Coming Soon: "Captivating"



Several recent discussions with friends have given me a much needed kick-in-the-pants to finally write out my thoughts on a book I finished a few weeks ago, called "Captivating". This book was written by John & Stasi Eldgedge as a sort of female companion to "Wild at Heart." It's purpose: "to let you know that the healing of your feminine heart is available, and to help you find that healing" (p.96).

I began reading John & Stasi Eldrige's book, having heard both glowing reviews and grave concerns from a wide variety of people about its contents. And if you have read "Captivating" I invite your comments. I would love to know whether you agree with my take, disagree, or a little of both - and why. I'd like to give you some initial thoughts, and then discuss in several separate posts what I feel are several important issues the book addresses.

If you haven't read "Captivating" I'd still love to hear your thoughts on these issues!

Why? Since the birth of our first baby, I've often used the excuse of children and a busy schedule to let my brain begin to atrophy. As wives, mothers, sisters, grandmothers, friends, and women who are trying to follow hard after Christ, it is vital that we run every concept through the grid of God's Word, that we read actively and think critically about what we are taking in, and that we continue to sharpen each other.

First off, let me just say that I really like Stasi Eldrege. Her transparency about struggles with weight, self-image, and a blemished past; her quest to help women discover their true beauty; and her desire to understand God in new and fresh ways - all of this drew me to her. She is someone I think I would enjoy having a long conversation with over coffee.

She begins by highlighting both the deepest fear (abandonment) of women, and their greatest desires (to be romanced, to play an irreplacable role in a great adventure, and to unveil beauty). She explains that the motivation for much of what we do and say is obtaining an answer to our core question: "Am I lovely?"

While I definitely agree with the book's premise, there are several concepts I'd like to take a closer look at: some, because I like what the Eldredges have to say; and others, because I cannot in good conscience ignore the faulty theology used and the Scriptures taken out of context. In any case, it should make for some good discussion!

I must conclude for now, as my house is being torn apart by three little tornadoes as I write, but more is coming soon . . . !

1 comment:

lyndie said...

looking forward to this discussion. perhaps will try to find time to read the book to be able to give a legit perspective. still gnawing away at "the davinci code" tho.