Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Curly Dimpled Lunatic

With Danny back home after a week in California for Brethren National Youth Conference, our church's week of VBS now behind us, and summer travels at an end, life is finally beginning to resemble something "normal" (whatever that means). But how we've changed over the course of just 2 months! Zeke has thinned out and grown taller; his hair has turned white-blonde from days in the sun. Karis has undergone the most obvious transformation - our helpless infant has become an independent toddler almost overnight.

But it is Rachel who has changed the most significantly over the summer. As I replaced last year's picture of Rachel with her current one, I was struck by how fast she's growing up. She looks so much older than she did a year ago - but it's more than just her looks. Every aspect of her little person has gone from chubby toddlerhood to bright, energetic preschooler. It makes me sad to think about, but also grateful that God is allowing me to guide, develop and love her in these early years. So, I'm dedicating this post to Rachel, our almost-4-year-old.

Ralph Waldo Emerson defines child as "a curly dimpled lunatic." There couldn't be a better description of my firstborn daughter! I mean, what can you expect from someone who begs to watch "The 101 Salvations", who thanked God for paper towels one night at dinner, and who cried inconsolably when I shared with her tonight that even though her party was Saturday, she's not going to be 4 for another 2 weeks? I admit it - I lied just to make her stop crying, which she did the moment I told her I was only kidding and she really is 4.

Since we're on the topic . . . Rachel had her very first "friend birthday party" over the weekend, with her friend, Alia. Since their birthdays are a month apart, Alia's mom, Erin, and I decided to combine forces and have a big princess party (the girls insisted on this theme) on August 5th - 2 weeks after Alia's birthday and 3 weeks before Rachel's. Rachel has been anticipating this party, by the way, since January.

It was fabulous. Each little princess, in full regalia, was announced, had her picture taken, and got to walk the red carpet, across the deck and out into the yard. They sifted for jewels and precious stones in boxes of sand, they searched for Cinderella's lost slipper, they played on the swingset and the "inflatable bouncy thing", as we've come to call it, in the yard. Erin read "The Princess and the Kiss" to them, the two birthday princesses opened gifts and we ended the whole shabang with fairy castle cake and ice cream. I was rather proud of the cake, which looked oh so simple but took over four hours to make. There were 11 princesses at the party, and 2 fully outfitted queens - one of whom was 8 months pregnant (not me!). I did feel a little sorry for poor Zekers, who, consumed by jealousy, begged to be dressed as a princess like his sister. We've simply got to get that kid a cowboy outfit or something.

In June I signed Rachel up for summer ballet classes. She goes every Tuesday and Thursday for 10 half-hour sessions. I tell you what - she's about 10 kinds of cute in her little leotard and skirt, practicing her "first potition" and "releve" with the other 6 or 7 girls in the class. Although she matter-of-factly shared with her dance instructor last week that she wasn't "in the mood" to dance, she usually does pretty well and even asked Miss Barbara today for an extra sucker to take home to her brother. What a sweetheart.

Also for the first time, Rachel has attended 2 Vacation Bible Schools - one at Camp Forest Springs in July, and the other at our church last week. Ours had a "reaching the nations" theme, highlighting Brazil, the Dominican Republic, South Africa, India and the USA. As a part of the team that put together the USA night, I had the privilege of dressing as a fashion-challenged frontier-woman. Rach did look adorable in her cowgirl outfit - if only the bottom half would have stayed up. Apparenly her jeans AND underwear were a mite large on her, as her group leader told me afterward that she mooned all 150 VBS-ers during the teaching time.

There are so many things I pray she never loses. Her belly laugh. Her impy smile. Her spiritual sensitivity. Her compassion for those in need. Her generosity with kisses, hugs and affection in general. Her crazy curly hair. Her love for asking questions (although I wouldn't mind if that one diminished a little). It's been an amazing four years, and I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to the next four!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have the most hilarious stories of your kids! I'm jealous. I always wanted to take ballet when I was little and then I got the chance in college, but I was a clumsy fat freshman....so that didn't go over too well! ha ha ha. Good memories for you, though! See ya'll soon.

Anonymous said...

Adding on to earlier comment....I think its your turn to leave town for a week by yourself. You would be sorely missed, I'm sure...that's if your house was still standing when you got back.

Anonymous said...

What precious photos and I WANT SOME COPIES, PLEASE? (I have a birthday coming up...cheap gift!)

Rachel has stepped into the role of developing woman (though lets forget that annoying info so many parents recite, like "she's 4 going on 16" Ugh! She is 4 going on 5!)...the beauty, the fantasy of romance, the qualities that femininity embraces. May you as a mommy (AND her daddy) feed that precious feminine soul to hunger and thirst for righteousness ALL the days of her life, and may we as grandparents be of great help in this endeavor. And the same goes for our little Karis! May they be in the process of becoming truly captivating women!

Mom/Grandma Miller

Lauren Mott said...

here's to your daughter...cheers:)

danny2 said...

and in 36 years, i look forward to the process of meeting the man who is to be her husband.

Charity said...

If she follows in the footsteps of her parents, you'd better be on the lookout for any amorous 2-yr-olds hanging around. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey, we just had a princess b-day party here too...same plates even! We got new princess dress up stuff and a ballet costume/instructional DVD. Sounds like we've had the same stuff on the girls' minds this month. :)

Anonymous said...

If she waits 36 years and marries at 40, THERE GOES THE PROBABILITY OF MANY IF ANY, GRANDKIDS! And Grandpa Danny will be sorry! (Besides, you'll be wantin' your Cutie to yourself and pushing the birdies out of the nest!)

Grandma and lovin' it!

Anonymous said...

did my balloon arrive??? i fell in love with it:) tell rachel i love her and she is my favorite 4 year old in the world!