Sunday, January 14, 2007

Feet Cookies

I wasn't going to write about this. But every time I think about it, I can't help laughing, so maybe you'll get a little amunsement out of it, too.

Since Rach and Zekers can both open our side-by-side fridge and freezer, they noticed one day last week that I had some leftover frosting in the freezer from making cut-out Christmas cookies. So of course, this has been a very popular topic of conversation around our house in recent days. ("Mommy, when are we EVER going to use the rest of the frosting?")

You can only put Rachel off for so long - she is nothing if not persistent! So I decided yesterday would be a great day to finally make some more cookies and use up that blasted frosting. Rachel helped me make the dough Friday, and we planned to use some new cookie-cutters given to the kids for Christmas: a flower, a snowman, and a butterfly.

Here's where it gets a little bizarre. While we were at Wal-Mart getting a few odds and ends, Rachel spied some more cookie cutters. They were 50 cents each, so I told her we'd get one (hey, I might as well take advantage of it while she's little; I know when she's 15 I won't be able to buy her off so easily). Well, the one she had her eye on was . . . a FOOT. I just started laughing - I mean, who makes cookies in the shape of feet?? - and trying to get her to choose something like a cute little dog, or a heart, or something more cookie-like. But no - only the foot would do, so we marched up to the front and made the purchase. I thought, she'll just forget we even have it and we'll use the other myriads of cute shapes in our collection when it comes time to make the cookies.

While I was getting out several of them yesterday, which one do you think fell out of the container and landed right next to Rachel? I couldn't believe it. But her eyes lit up like it was Christmas again when she saw it. "Oh, Mommy, don't forget this one!" I sighed and thought, no big deal. I told her we'd just have to frost the feet either green or white (the 2 colors of frosting we had in the freezer). Well, when it came time to frost them, she threw a fit at the thought of having to eat a green foot (wouldn't you?). And what color did they have to be? Skin-colored, of course! I asked her, "How in the world am I supposed to come up with skin-colored frosting?" And she answered with the confidence of a 4-yr-old, "Oh, you'll think of something, Mom."

As it turned out, I ended up making another batch of frosting - half pink and half yellow - for the flowers and hearts. So I took a little of each color and blended them to make sort of a peach color, which finally satisfied Rach. It was my job to frost the cookies, and hers to add the sprinkles; and I couldn't help thinking the whole time, "I can't believe I'm standing here frosting FEET.

The best part is, we used up the green frosting on the butterflies and the white on the snowmen, but now, sitting in the freezer, is half of the yellow frosting, which we'll have to use up again. (Why can't I make myself throw anything away? Why?) At least this time I was smart enough to hide it behind the peas. . .

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Feet cookies! Who knew? And you were so innovative with the frosting! I almost called Anna over to check out the pics, and then thought "Wait, do I want to be making feet cookies this week?" :)

I've been thinking about your 'entropy' post all week and meaning to comment. It is so true. The one thing I can be thankful for is that even though I may never again see the bottom of my hamper OR my sink for that matter....at least the things I'm teaching my kids and the time I invest into them will last!

Anonymous said...

That is so funny! This time last year I was doing a city wide search for a foot cookie cutter to use for a baby shower. I finally found one, but it took forever... to think that you & Rachel simply stumbled upon one! She looks very pleased with the cookies! :)

Charity said...

Susan, just let me know if you need another one - you may be able to convince me to part with mine. :-) Although, this may need to become a Wright family yearly tradition: making feet cookies in January!

Anonymous said...

Charity, I'd eat your frosted sugar cookies any time, no matter what shape they were in, they are delicious! That is a funny story though.
Hannah

Anonymous said...

Leftover icing is GREAT sandwiched in between graham crackers!!! mm

Anonymous said...

You would have felt D-FEETED if you hadn't done such a good job on the cookies. I just hope no one got TOE-MAIN poisoning from eating them. I know I didn't.

Charity said...

Haha! You threw me a curve ball - I expected a comment about a TOE truck. :-)

I forgot all about the graham crackers! Those were so good! Ah, the memories . . .