Tuesday, March 27, 2007

How to be a Lazy Cheat

The other day, I was playing a game with the kids. I asked them what they saw on the ceiling and then when they looked up, I tickled their necks. Well, when I got to Rachel and asked, "Hey, what do you see up there?", she looked up and immediately replied, "the ceiling fan and spiderwebs."

I looked up (which I obviously rarely do) and saw that, sadly, it was true - there were a few stray cobwebs caught between the lights on the fan. So for the next 15 minutes I went around the entire house getting rid of cobwebs and praying fervently that the friends & family that have come and gone through our house the past several months haven't noticed my lack of passion for cleaning.

I've got to be honest: the past couple of months (OK, years), I haven't had much extra energy for staying on top of housecleaning like I want to. I just keep thinking that it's much more important for me to expend energy on playing outside with the kids and making time for friends than dusting the living room.

But that's where I have a problem. I do need to keep things somewhat presentable, because quite a few people seem to come into our house during the week, both expected guests and pop-ins.

Since I thouroughly enjoy having company, but hate it when they see my messy house, I've had to come up with a solution I can live with. So I've come up with these simple guidelines, which, when adhered to, give the illusion of cleanliness, and for the time being, that's good enough for me!

1. Make the beds. This one little thing immediately makes everything seem more orderly.

2. Clean the floors. This does not mean mopping/scrubbing!! I spot clean the linoleum and hardwood, and pick up all noticeable lint from the living room floor when I'm expecting guests. (I don't always vacuum!) When the floors are clean, the whole house seems clean.

3. Become good friends with disinfectant wipes. A quick swipe of the sink and toilet leave the bathroom looking good and smelling fresh. I've used both Lysol and Clorox wipes and really like both. They are also good for spot cleaning just about any surface: floor, cabinets, countertops, a child's face, you name it.

4. Consolidate toys. By this, I mean that when I see someone approaching, or have just a few minutes before someone comes over, I gather all the toys from the living room, kitchen and dining room, etc., and throw them into one of the kids' rooms! It's much easier for me to deal with ONE messy room, than six, even if that one room is impossible to walk through. And guests have no idea of the disaster that lurks behind closed doors.

So you see, it's all about creating a satisfying illusion. (Please do not make any spiritual analogies out of this one - it only applies to cleaning!)

Of course, every once in a while, there's nothing for it but to buckle down and really give the house a good cleaning, but most of the time you can "cheat" your way through quite effectively.

And after a conversation with some friends tonight, I concluded that no one really notices those darn cobwebs anyway.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i can agree without reservation that the illusion of cleanliness is sufficient for almost ANY household event. AND you are absolutely right that the time spent with your kids is way more profitable than knocking down spiderwebs.

i'd say "lazy cheat" is the wrong title for you. more like "innovative sage". maybe that's because i'd rather see myself that way.....

Charity said...

Ah, Dee, I need to hang out with you more often - you're good for the ego . . . (as long as we're not playing euchre!) :-)

I'll ignore your cobwebs if you'll ignore mine!

Charis & Judah's Mom said...

Preach it, sister! I'm all about illusions! Plus, you have to ask yourself, do YOU notice cobwebs in ceiling fans when you visit others' houses? My husband has chided me more than once that I think people care about my house's cleanliness way more than they actually do. And, as my mom says, they're coming to visit you, not your house! Enjoy the kids and don't look back!

Anonymous said...

ah, charity - i'll take you for a euchre partner any day. you are just plain fun!!!

i'm really, really hoping you know i didn't mean anything by those comments i made. people just kept setting them up. i do need to resist a little more :{

Charity said...

Of course I know you didn't mean anything . . . I'm just glad everyone got a good laugh, even if it was at my expense. :-)

lyndie said...

i believe wholeheartedly in cheating, when it comes to housecleaning. it's good to know i'm not the only one. i often suffer from a guiltly conscience when i think about how long its been since i've mopped- esp. since my mom was & is a master housecleaner.
i love disinfectant wipes so much i was going to make a blog about them- but you kinda beat me to it *lol*. praising God for creating their genius inventor.