Sunday, May 13, 2007

Surprised

About a year ago, my mom called to tell me about a writing contest given by a popular magazine - she had this crazy idea I might want to enter. The winning essay would be published on the magazine's blog. (Now, if the top award had been, say, a $1,000 shopping spree to a scrapbooking store, or a month's worth of catered meals, I may have been a bit more motivated!) I didn't end up writing anything for the contest, since it ended in 3 days, but I've thought about the topic ever since and found it quite intriguing. Contestants were to write 500 words or less on "what surprised you most about motherhood". Hmm . . . surprising how hard it is to narrow it down to one thing!


The fact is, there was very little about motherhood that I wasn't surprised by. . .

. . . how little sleep a person can survive on

. . . that three kids who came from the same parents can have such incredibly different personalities

. . . how many things in life really don't matter

. . . the amount of time I spend in the kitchen

. . . how addictive garage sales and thrift stores can be

. . . how many things I said my kids would never do, that they inevitably ended up doing (going out in public with dirty faces; running in the church building; crying loudly at Wal-Mart; whining; watching more than 7.5 minutes of TV per day; eating anything other than tofu and lentils, etc.)

. . . how quickly their moods can change

. . . how quickly my mood can change

. . . the amount of time I spend laughing out loud at their antics

. . . how much I love driving a mini-van

. . . how someone so sweet can create such a stench

. . . that Rach and Zekers remember so much about their Bible story every week at church

. . . the volume of noise generated by someone so small

. . . that after hearing the same CD 57 times, it is actually possible to tune it out completely

. . . the things that are overheard once and repeated - both good and not-so-good!

. . . how many conversations we have weekly about body parts - public and private (both the conversations and the body parts!)

. . . that something as simple as forgetting a ragged old blanket can turn the world upside-down

. . . how closely our kids watch everything we do and try to emulate it

. . . how hard, and how wonderful, it is to be so needed

. . . the number of strollers, big wheels, bikes, wagons and sports paraphernalia that can fit into one garage

. . . the amount of excitement generated by the word "park"

. . . that I now see nothing unusual about eating dinner with 20 stuffed animals & Barbies sitting on the table

. . . how forgiving children are

. . . how much fun it is to snuggle

. . . how much reading I can do without losing my voice

. . . the importance of "everyday moments"

. . . that on mother's day, the only thing I really care about is being with my husband and my kids - not having a break from them (I'll take a raincheck on the break, though!)

. . . the intangible rewards that are part of each day

. . . the terrifying responsibility that regularly drives me to my knees


Not as much an essay as a collection of thoughts, I guess. And I'm sure there are dozens I've left out - and many more surprises coming as the kids get older!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When Danny called me last night we were talking about how Mothers Day can be a sad time for some people.
The best Mothers Days are the ones I had when my kids were younger. There is nothing that compares to a homemade card or a ash tray made in art class (I guess they didn't notice I have never smoked)Back then they thought I was smart, funny, a good cook and like you said loved to snuggle. I felt needed. (I should mention that all changed when they became pre-teens)
When you become a Grandma, God gives you back some of those special moments through your grandchildren. For this I am so thankful.

Moo-In-Law

Charity said...

I used to think I'd want my kids to grow up and become independent as soon as possible, because I've always enjoyed other people's teenage kids. But you're right - this stage is way more precious than I ever thought it would be, and I wouldn't wish it away for anything (except maybe on a really bad day!)

I think Rachel's Sunday School teachers said they're making ash trays with the kids next week . . . we'll be sure she makes one for you. ;)

Brooke said...

Wow, what an incredible list. It's great to be reminded of the great and funny aspects of motherhood.
You mentioned those PJ's...there is a funny story about those. I asked Lee to get Mckenna some pajamas once when he was in the US without me. He got those with bugs and lizards on them and I gave him a hard time about getting our girly girl boy pj's. Of course they ended up being her favorites and now they have been passed onto Knox!

Charity said...

That's hilarious! Every once in a while, Rachel likes to don Zeke's Spiderman PJ's (I got them at a garage sale, so they're a size 4 but he still wears them all the time) and wear them to bed. fortunately, he hasn't shown the same desire to wear her princess or Dora nightgowns . . .