Saturday, June 23, 2007

2 Days of Poo

I've been to the bathroom about 267 times this weekend . ..

Against all logic, I've decided to dive into the potty training process with Kari Bou. I was at Wal-Mart picking up diapers, pull-ups and swimming diapers and I thought to myself, wouldn't it be wonderful not to have to mess with any of this for 4 months? I could get a head start collecting baby diapers instead, and going to the pool would be so much easier. And I have to admit, the prospect of having NO ONE in diapers for the next 4 months (for the first time in nearly 5 years) had me positively drooling. Factoring in Kari Bou's personality (much more type "A" than the other 2), and the fact that she wants nothing more than to be just like her big brother and sister, I was hopeful about the results. The method I'm using recommends 22 months as the best age to potty train, and she'll be 22 months in about a week.

So here we are. I've spent the better part of the last 2 days at home, focusing entirely on Karis, and it's actually been pretty cool getting to spend so much 1-on-1 with her. Danny has been a wonderful help with Rach & Zekers, and with a lot of the housework, too, which has really helped speed up the process. We're making steady progress, going from many many accidents yesterday morning, to only 2 this morning, and none this afternoon. She even remained dry through her nap! I'm using a method that recommends going cold turkey - no pull-ups - and I've geared up for the amount of sheets I'm going to be washing for the next few weeks. (That's about how long it took Zekers to remain consistently dry through the night.)

The big test will be church tomorrow; if she can get through 2 services, and the Sunday evening class, I'll be in a mood to celebrate! If not . . . I guess we'll just keep plugging away.

7 comments:

Chris said...

Can't wait to hear that wonderful sound of the POOPY BELL when she is at my house the next time!
I was starting to think Zekers was going to be in high school before he got to ring it.

Anonymous said...

What method are you using? Libby will be 22 months very soon...and I'm beginning to dream of a diaper free home....it'll be wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Well, it's suday night..... how did she do? :) lg

Charis & Judah's Mom said...

I am also interested in what method you're using. My Charis is...ahem...36 months, and has not much interest in potty training whatsoever....

Charity said...

Ma - I was starting to wonder about Zekers myself! Thanks for the princess underwear . . . I realized halfway into the first day that we hadn't gotten enough so she was having to borrow Rachel's. Neither of them minded, but it kind of grossed me out.

Linda - She had one accident first thing when we got to church Sunday morning, and another on Sunday night. BUT - she went a total of 5 times on her own at church and even told the nursery workers when she had to go. So, I'm celebrating the positives. :-)

Marcie & C&J's Mom - I used the 3 Day Potty Training Method by Lora Jensen; I'm just going to do a post on it and give all the info in a day or 2. I want to make sure it fully works before I recommend it! (but I've been really pleased so far) Each of my kids has responded differently though. Rach was 27 months, and Zekers wouldn't even think about using the potty a day before he was 37 months.

Brooke said...

Wow, I'm impressed! I am wanting to go about potty-training better the next time around, so I look forward to your post about this method. I loved the pics you posted the other day, too! -Brooke

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm dreaming of the day....Leah is nearly 20 mos and I'm thinking once the beach weather is over we'll go for it! (I just can't be running to and from the bathroom while watching 4 kiddos at the beach) The savings in grocery bills will be wonderful! Looking forward to hearing about 'the method'.