Friday, April 18, 2008

I'm Back!

It's been a strange couple of weeks.

The good news: the problem with my computer wasn't the hard drive. It was something else (don't ask me what) that affected the hard drive but was easily (though not necessarily speedily) repaired, and cost much less than having to buy a new computer.

The bad news: I've lost EVERYTHING on my computer. It's really quite unnerving to stare at a completely blank desktop and realize that all my files are gone forever. And most of the pictures I had in iPhoto are gone. I had all of them on CDs, except for the month of March, with all of Zekers' birthday pix. I also realized we didn't get any video footage of his special day. I thought about making another cake and taking some more pictures . .. for about 3 seconds.

So if you don't get a Christmas card from us this year, it's because we lost the spreadsheet with your address on it.

One good thing that's come of this "internet blackout" for me is that I've gotten a lot of other things done; like scrapbooking, getting out all the kids' summer clothes and putting away the winter ones, and playing with the kids outside.

I realized how dependent I've become on my computer - not sure whether that's good or bad. I go online to do research, to find recipes, to look at the 10-day forecast, and of course, to read the blogs of dear friends and update my own. I was grumbling this week because instead of being able to find something on a Bible study tools website I have bookmarked, I had to drag out (and dust off) the HUGE concordance I haven't used in eons! Wow - imagine having to actually look something up in a book!

OK, I'm going to go work on recreating some of my files.

It's good to be back!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'd been wondering why you hadn't posted in such a long time. of course, if i'd noticed that you had more comments (explaining it all) on your last post, i'd not be feeling so ignorant right now.....

glad you have it partially worked out, though i certainly don't envy you having to practically start all over again. ugh! intimidating task!

Anonymous said...

oh dear...i wondered if you were just waaayyy too busy being a mommy to post...guess i'm like d, i didn't look at the comments on your last post either

Anonymous said...

You are right about becoming way too dependent on the computer! Though it helps with some things, it can really be a time consumer as well. Sometimes I wonder why life seemed so much simpler and we got so much more done 20 years ago. It, like TV can be addictive! Maybe this is one hint of it! mm

Michelle said...

Whoa. I think I'll go back everything up on disk now. loosing everything sounds pretty scary. Especially my pictures. Yikes! I'd hate to loose those.
BTW if you right click on the birthday pictures you have posted on your blog it should let you save them to your computer. Did you send any of Zeke's birthday pictures to far away friend who could send them back to you? ~Michelle

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, you're scaring me with the thought of losing pictures. I think I have about 3 yrs. worth on here... probably time to put them someplace safe. Maybe I can find a computer saavy guy around here to help me. :)

I'm glad you're back online~

Charity said...

michelle - that's been my one consolation: at least i'll be able to access a couple of pix of Zekers' bday online. I knew there was a reason i blog!

susan - i had about 2 years' worth and i'm almost embarrassed to admit how many there were (somewhere between 1,500 and 2,000). the computer guys were able to salvage 37 of them, none of which were the newer ones from march. this was definitely a wake-up call to make sure everything's backed up!!

~~anna~~ said...

Oh boy! and I just fell in love with our digital camera when I discovered I can take the card from the camera and insert it right into my laptop and download everything in 2 seconds!
You mean now I still have to do something else to save them, huh? Time to get the cd's out and start downloading. Fortunately, I've already given cd's to David & Lyndie and Shan with almost all the pixs.
By the way, I finally updated my blog.
Now to hear from D&L and see what's happening in Guatemala!

Kati said...

Welcome back, Charity. I've missed reading. I think I'd about memorized Zeke's b-day picture from your last post. :)