Sunday, November 16, 2008

Random Wright-ness

Some highlights, photos, and rather scattered thoughts from the week in no particular order . . .

This photo is from several weeks ago, when the weather was warm and our trees rained golden leaves for 2 days. I love that it pretty well sums up each child: Rachel, the mother hen; Malachi fighting his way out of her embrace; Karis, acting like a wild animal and unable to sit still even for one photo; Zekers, sitting off by himself with an enigmatic look on his face. I also love that in the midst of fall leaves, there sits a snow shovel. The kiddos somehow thought it made a whole lot more sense to "rake" the yard with a shovel than with an actual rake. I suppose the important thing was that they had fun and didn't hurt anyone.

Rachel lost her fourth tooth at AWANA on Wednesday. I was more than a little relieved; it had been hanging by a thread for days, but she wanted no part of anyone pulling it out before it was "ready". Memories from my own childhood involving a piece of string and a slamming door convinced me to let her have her way on this one. Now she officially looks like a first-grader, sporting a gaping hole at the top of her mouth. Occasionally, when we have a late night and she's tired, I brush her teeth for her before she goes to bed. And whenever this happens, I'm reminded, "Mom, don't brush my hole!" For some reason, this strikes me funny every time, and I haven't yet been able to hide the burst of laughter that follows her frantic request.








This past week everyone decided they wanted to "help" me in the kitchen. Which can be precious, but also a little frustrating. The other night, we had tofu pancakes for dinner. Normally, it takes me about 7 minutes to throw everything into the blender and whip them up. But with all the extra help I received, we managed to mix them up in just under 40 minutes. Being an extremely goal-oriented person, this was an intense exercise in forbearance for me. But, I'm happy to report that I passed with flying colors . . . well, until I tripped over Karis for the 37th time. But that's another story. I do love that they enjoy helping me cook and clean.

Kari Bou had her first sleepover on Friday night. I almost cried - she is getting to be such a big girl, and she was SO excited to be having fun with her very own friends, not just following along behind Zeke and Rachel and their friends. The twin girls she stayed with came over for dinner the next evening and they had a chance to play even more together.

Today, she got to wear her new dress, and it was pretty apparent she felt like a little princess in it. She spent a good part of the evening just twirling.

I overheard Karis earlier this week describing "The Trinity" to Zekers as "God and Jesus and the Holy Spirit all mashed together."

Rachel asked me last week to straighten her hair. Not having a whole lot of time, I just blew it dry. It got pretty straight and went halfway down her back. To tell the truth, it kind of freaked me out seeing her hair so long and straight, so I've refused to do it that way since. Her curly hair is just such a defining part of her - she is, and always will be, my "curly dimpled lunatic."

Inexplicably, I've become a tea-drinker. Even when I'm at Starbucks I usually end up buying a bottle of Tazo green tea. I still enjoy a good cup of coffee, but when I get up in the morning, I have to indulge in a steaming mug of chai or Earl Grey or wild berry tea.

Danny is leaving tomorrow at 4 am and will be gone for 6 days. I find myself thinking back to the days when he worked for an itinerant speaking ministry and traveled for weeks at a time while I held down the fort back at the office. To tell you the truth, those 3 years were the loneliest of my life. That's when I took up guitar; what else was there to do at 12 am when I couldn't sleep? And Larry, our rabbit, wasn't great company. Remembering those years makes me extremely thankful: that Danny doesn't travel all summer anymore; and that I now have 4 beautiful, wonderful kiddos to fill this week with warmth and snuggles and laughter (and fighting and screaming and messiness). But seriously . . . . I'm thankful.

No more random thoughts are coming to mind. Goodnight, everyone!

20 comments:

Jodi Bradshaw said...

YUM tofu pancakes! I am amazed that your kids will eat those after they see the consistency of it (and am even more amazed that Danny will eat it at all). I have to admit I am not a big fan.

Anonymous said...

Get this Jodi - she usually fixes them with green beans as a side dish......


Chris

Anonymous said...

They are QUITE tasty, I'll have you know (sort of custardy) and VERY nutritious. Try it, you'll like it!

Marilyn

Anonymous said...

I CANNOT imagine RNW with straight hair! Did you get a photo? Love the toothlessness! Got a photo of Kari in her twirly dress?

Great randomness! Hope you have a wonderful week, that the Lord makes up the difference!


mom

Kati said...

I am amazed that you describe letting them help you in the kitchen as only "a little" frustrating. On the occasion I let my kids help, it's as if I'm expecting someone to hand me a Mother of the Year Award or something to reward me for my "forbearance". HA! You're a good mom, Charity!

Charity said...

jodi - i guess you have to grow up eating them! the kiddos actually prefer the tofu variety to any other kind; not sure how long that will last . . .

ma - considering I grew up eating pickled eggs and pickled red beets, i think the green bean thing is pretty un-wierd. :)

mom - i just put up a pic of Karis twirling. I couldn't get it to post last night.

kati - ok, you got me. I was REALLY frustrated after about the first 5 minutes when I couldn't walk through my own kitchen. It makes me feel guilty that I have to work so hard at letting them "help."

~~anna~~ said...

Tofu pancakes with green beans???
I assume you don't use maple syrup on these, huh?

We're leaving in a couple of hours for Las Americas (the airport) to retrieve Danny, Mike & Aaron. We are so excited that Danny is making his first trip here! Of course, by the time he arrives back with you, he will be a bit tired. Bob has quite the week planned!

Charity said...

Oh, I do feel bad for him having to rough it at the resort. :) He is very excited about the trip - Bob can work him as hard as he wants! Just take good care of him for me.

Margaret said...

praying for you this week! i know, very clearly, what it's like to keep everything together at home while the "main man" is gone.

can't say as i've ever had tofu pancakes, but i can definitely say i've had pickled eggs and red beets and love them both. Nothing weird about that! :)

and, of course, praying for danny, too.

~~anna~~ said...

Charity, Don't know if Danny has contacted you this afternoon, or not. But as of right now, (3:27 here/2:27 for you) they haven't even left Atlanta yet. The original schedule would have had them here already!!
They are due to arrive here about 7ish tonight! If you could send me your email addy, I can keep you posted a bit more about how it's going this week.

Chris said...

Margaret is right. The eggs are wonderful. In fact, they are one of Pa's favorite things in the whole world. If you have a good recipe I know he would love some for Christmas. I am not yolking :0) Just no To-Furkey at Thanksgiving.

Keep me posted on Danny.

Charity said...

anna, i put my email in a comment on your blog . . .just wanted to make sure you got it!

~~anna~~ said...

I got it! I just checked at Delta and, as of 4:49 our time, they were still awaiting take-off.
Reminder: We are one hour later than you.

Anonymous said...

i add my gag to tofu.

amazing how karis can be such a "wild animal" as you put it, and yet love to twirl in a pretty dress :) ah, the complexities of being female!

i remember Kathleen Seal telling me YEARS ago that i needed to keep letting the children help me in the kitchen and not worry about the mess. i dutifully - and joyfully, most times - complied. now none of them want to be there, and my girls have little interest in learning to cook. hmmmm.

i also remember my 4-H leader telling me that her mom NEVER let her help clean the house or work in the kitchen when she was young and as an adult she just LOVED it.

as a result, i give no advice :)

danny2 said...

i love you!

hug my monkeys too!!!!

Kati said...

I am still laughing at the To-Furkey comment............

Anonymous said...

By the way, CLMW, I think I'll fix some pickled beets and eggs for Thanksgiving as well as your deviled eggs. mom

marissa said...

I remember my first twirly dress....me, lindsey jetter, and another girl in our kindergarden class got our names put on the chalkboard because we were twirling in the classroom when our teacher left the room..she came back and caught us :(

Charity said...

wow, you girls were little rebels . . . to be caught in the act of twirling!! :D

Anonymous said...

oh marissa! don't start the list with "me". come on - you know better :p