Monday, December 08, 2008

Tis the Season

This weekend has been quite bizarre, with really great moments and also moments I'm trying hard to forget.

Friday (Danny's day off) we ran down to the mall with the 3 younger kiddos to do some Christmas shopping and also because Old Navy jeans were $12 all day. It was a disaster on both counts! I found out shortly after entering Old Navy that the sale was actually on Saturday. But I tried to console myself with the thought that the trip wasn't a total waste because we still needed a few other items.

We decided to have lunch first, since it was 12:30. I got the kiddos some Taco Bell, Danny hit his favorite Gyro place, and I didn't get anything, because my stomach had been feeling strange all morning. After lunch, we took the kids to the play area. I was feeling a bit lightheaded, and I thought it was because I hadn't eaten anything for a while, so I finally decided an Auntie Annie's pretzel didn't sound too bad (I had a almond pretzel - SO good!).

About 5 minutes after finishing my pretzel, it became evident that I was going to have to make a run for it. Unfortunately, the nearest restroom was on the upper level and some distance away. In a panic, I got up and hurried toward the stairs. I got about as far as the end of the play area and realized I could no longer walk because my legs had gone completely numb! And the next thing I knew, I was sitting on a bench with my head lolling back and a small crowd of people standing around me saying things like, "Ma'am, can you hear me?"

Condensed version: I eventually became able to move, but still couldn't walk, and had to be taken out to our car in a wheelchair. I do thank God that it wasn't until we arrived home about an hour later that Ralph viciously attacked. And that it only lasted about 12 hours, although I felt like "death eating a cracker" on Saturday. One thing I discovered is that it isn't too difficult to keep the kiddos away from whoever is sick, unless the sick one is ME.

The really good part of the weekend was Sunday. Rachel and I left early from church to head down to Waynesville, where we attended a ladies' Christmas tea hosted by Jayne Nixon, a friend who several years ago planted a church in Springboro with her husband. The day was extra special because on the way there we picked up my sister Hannah and her daughter Esther. Rachel was absolutely beside herself - we got to eat at Steak 'n Shake on the way there, she got to spend time with her Aunt and cousin, AND she got to attend a "real live tea party!" (She ended up drinking a cup of hot blueberry tea, which she didn't even really like, but drank anyway just because it was "real" tea).

There were about 20 ladies gathered in Jayne's home and it was such an encouraging and fun time. I was a little nervous - she had asked me to do some performance songs and lead in several Christmas carols before & after the speaker, Beth Z., shared. The really, really cool thing was that Beth and I hadn't coordinated what we were singing/sharing beforehand, but of course, God worked things out so that the music and the message emphasized the exact same things, and we even used some of the same verses (ones that aren't in the "Christmas story account" in Luke!) What a blessing. My absolute favorite part was hearing everyone lift their voices during the Christmas carols - so beautiful. Rachel mentioned several times that day how much she liked getting to spend some time with "just Mommy". I feel badly that often when I try to spend time with her, 3 others are trying their best to make sure they, too, get a slice of the mommy pie. It was really wonderful to be able to spend some one-on-one time with her.

We drove straight from there to dinner and a concert at the church with Jeremiah and Marcie Olson, dear friends from college whom God has gifted musically and in many other ways. The kiddos were all with us for the concert, which was a little . . . ok, a lot . . . distracting. But I was still able to enjoy their hearts and their music. About halfway through, Jeremiah invited 5 people to come up on stage to help him out. As soon as he said the words, "The first five people up here will receive a prize," one of my munchkins made a mad dash for the stage, along with a little friend / partner-in-crime. It was too cute - they all got hats & antlers to wear as they danced around a human Christmas tree!

And today, we are doing nothing, since Ralph visited again last night - this time in Malachi's room. I'm trying really hard to find the joy in continually cleaning up really gross messes, but I am grateful for a chance to stay home for the day, and have decided, along with Zekers, that I love my PJ's so much I'm going to leave them on all day.

And here are a few pictures from the last couple of weeks:


A little too much fun with the flour


Malachi is IN LOVE with dogs!


You can always tell when Zekers has been feeding Malachi his yogurt. (We all started referring to him as "Baby Santa")


Our attempt to get a Christmas picture of the 4 clowns


Speaking of clowns . . .

9 comments:

Kati said...

Oh Charity, it is truly a gift when you can describe such a horrible experience in a way that makes me almost wet my pants laughing!! I join in your thankfulness that you didn't toss your cookies right there in the mall!!

And speaking of cookies, yours were my children's FAVORITES among those we brought home from the exchange. Erin was pleased to find out from the picture that Rachel and Zeke apparently made them.

JanAl said...

Oh, I pray that your family will be free from this bug soon! It seems like it keeps coming back, for most families I talk to.
It is a joy to be in PJ's all day!
I am glad to hear you had great mom/daughter time with Rachel, it probably means alot to her since she is in school all day.
That is something we (Cleyo & I) need to get back to.

Charity said...

Kati - Zekers wanted me to be sure to tell Erin HE frosted the blue bell cookie; you know, the one with a little bit of cookie drowning in tons of blue frosting. It's kind of embarrassing to admit, but we've already polished off most of our exchange cookies. (it was all the kids! haha)

Janal - thanks for your prayers! today actually hasn't been too bad. absolutely no productivity, but lots of snuggles. :) I can't even begin to imagine how you guys manage any one-on-one time with 8 kiddos . . .

Anonymous said...

Oh what a nightmare, Charity! I couldn't help but recall the time you passed out in our dorm suite bathroom when you had some kind of stomach bug. The nurse had to come check you out and all....we were afraid you'd hit your head. Guess things haven't changed much! ;)

Here's hoping the bug doesn't go through everyone!

Jessi said...

OH MY, charity! Do you normally pass out when you are sick, or was this just a rare thing?
And, did you notice that before the concert was over, the antlers were broken? They are in the process of being repaired right now!!!!

Oh, and i have the same problem you do with my kids eating all cookies before i even get one...HA!
(where's that sarcasim font that kati and janAl made up when you need it?) anyone that knows me KNOWS that i have a serious issue w/sweets...i am getting better!

Charity said...

Jessi, I really don't get sick very often, and I think college was the last time i passed out because of being sick (Tarah, I had forgotten about that one!) That's hilarious about the antlers - I'm surprised Karis' hat is still intact. She loved it so much she tried to wear it to bed afterward. :)

Anonymous said...

getting sick at home is awful enough, but to do it publicly is almost nightmarish. on the other hand, most of us don't do it with such FLAIR :)

glad you got home ok. the bug is making it's way through our family too: ty saturday and cami monday. todd and i are nervously waiting our turn....

Jessi said...

charity~ RALPH as you refer to, has been in Seth's room for the second night. Odd though, he only comes out at night. Everyone else is still very healthy :)

~~anna~~ said...

Charity,
Your mall trip does NOT sound like fun for you! so sorry.
I think the bug travelled south...if you read my blog from 2 days ago, you'll see. NOT fun at all!
Glad you're feeling better!