Monday, March 08, 2010

One of Those Days

It started this morning with a 2-hour delay. For once, I had everything ready to go 20 minutes before they were supposed to leave for the bus: lunches, papers, bags, etc. I had this whole morning planned: Karis and Malachi and I were going to hit the ground running as soon as Rachel & Zeke got on the bus. And then the call came - a 2-hour fog delay.

On to plan B. I loaded up the kiddos and we all headed out together. And that's when the fun began. Minutes after leaving the house, I heard sirens behind me. I was pulled over for "failure to come to a complete stop at a stop sign". I honestly thought I HAD come to a complete stop. In fact, I saw the police car coming and took mental inventory of everything - speed (check), seat belt (check), etc. I was not in a hurry (for once). Anyway, even though we always have our registration and insurance cards in the van, I could NOT find the insurance card anywhere. Not only that, I drew a complete blank when he asked me the name of our insurance company! Now, with health insurance I could rattle off names AND phone numbers, but it's been so long since I've had to think about car insurance, I was coming up with nothing. ("No, REALLY, Officer - we have insurance! I just can't find any proof and can't seem to remember the name of the company, but I promise, we have it!") Really convincing.

Citation in hand, I finished the short trip to the dry cleaners, made a couple of other stops, and then stopped at Wal-Mart. The cashier I got must have been new - she scrutinized every coupon and took basically 3 times longer than she needed to scan everything. The last item was a bottle of sparkling wine - which I was purchasing for a recipe I wanted to try this week - vanilla pound cake with sparkling wine glaze. Would you believe she actually carded me?!

At first I was elated. It's been YEARS since I've been carded, which is kind of depressing. So I was overjoyed . . . until I went to pull out my driver's license and realized it was still on the passenger seat with my citation. Since I can't remember the last time I've been carded, OR the last time I've been without my driver's license in my wallet, the odds that both of these would occur on the same day are almost nil. But . . . I've always been one to beat the odds, I guess.

I paid for my groceries (except the wine), went out and loaded up the van, grabbed my license, came back in and finished up. All this was with 4 kiddos in tow, of course. Which is why we ended up being about 3 minutes late for school. And I was so flustered by everything that I realized when we got home that I had forgotten to put drinks in Rach & Zekers' lunches (which we'd bought at Wal-Mart specifically FOR their lunches).

All I can say is, that pound cake had better be exceptionally good!

13 comments:

Charity said...

I have to say that this afternoon has more than made up for the morning. K, M & I have had fun together playing outside in the sunshine!!! And although I don't feel I deserved the citation, there have been plenty of times I haven't been pulled over and probably should have been, so . . . it's all good. :)

Kati said...

Oh girl, we ALL have stories of citations we didn't deserve!! :)

Sorry, but I got a good giggle out of your morning. :)

Margaret said...

wanna hear about the citation I didn't deserve?? :) I read your blog and just chuckled and said "oh wow, thank the Lord for a new day tomorrow".

marilyn66 said...

I know, Charity! There have been LOTS of times I should have gotten a ticket, too, so when I have gotten one, deserved or not, I am reminded to be grateful.

By the way, be careful when traveling in the Clayton limits...they can be very picky!

Rod and Sara said...

wow. Sorry about the hard morning... so glad the day got better!
I think you are a pretty amazing mom, Charity. When I read about your life I get all trembly inside- I can't imagine doing all that you do- and coming out with a smile on your face! The joy of Christ is shining through your life- and I am encouraged by it!

Charity said...

Yeah, some days you just have to laugh (later) at the absurdity of everything that's gone wrong. I'm thankful Monday only comes once a week!

JanAl said...

love your crazy stories, because I have days that are so comparable

Tarah said...

We had an embarrassing pullover not too long ago....undeserved, of course! This cop/kid (looked like he was about 19) informed us that we were pulling a trailer, yet "passing people like it was cool". How's that for a reason? Then, he peered into our van and discovered that some of our children weren't wearing their shoulder straps properly. We were on a long trip, and it's hard to make sure they are constantly keeping everything in the right place when they get squirmy, but they were all wearing belts. Anyhow, then he tells us that "if we aren't going to take care of our kids....he guesses he'll have to". Unreal, huh? All I can say is I didn't dare look at him. I was seething, but Matt always manages to be humble and sweet.....it worked, we only got a warning. And now the kids are really paranoid about those shoulder straps. So, I guess that's a good thing!

Hey, I hear that you guys are coming to CFS this summer? Yay, that's something to look forward to!

marilyn66 said...

1) You got carded because Mary Kay is keeping you looking so young!

2) I'll bet Rach had LOTS to share @ show-n-tell!!!

marcie said...

Charity - I just LOVE the way you word things. I have had some days like that but have failed to get it down in a post...or find the humor in it. Well done. How was the pound cake?

Charity said...

I made it yesterday, and it was worth everything!!! LOL I think the recipe is a keeper.

danny2 said...

i'm just impressed you weren't tempted to finish the bottle of wine BEFORE making the pound cake.

remember the days when i used to be the one getting all the driving tickets!!!

love you QT!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a typical day...except for getting carded. That is so funny!

Lindsey Petersen