Saturday, July 31, 2010

Choosing Gratitude

It's been an interesting week. And by interesting, I mean financially stressful.

Several weeks ago, we took our van to the shop to have the air conditioning repaired, which turned out to require much more work than we'd thought. Also, our weed-eater breathed its last.

This week, the lawn mower completely died. And the brakes went out in the van, requiring a brake job and new sensor. Also, I received my second ticket in 4 months for failing to come to a complete stop at a stop sign - in the park, no less.

Needless to say, my attitude regarding all of this has been considerably less than sanctified. I was frustrated with our van and its seemingly constant issues; angry with small-town cops (have they nothing better to do?); fed up with my darling children, who have continued to fight, whine, and argue their way through the week; and discontent with life in general. I was even upset with God: Why all of this all at once? When is He ever going to give me a GOOD day? I found myself thinking, I deserve better than this!

Numerous times throughout the past several days, I heard a still, small voice: Give thanks in all things! but I quickly dismissed it. I didn't want to give thanks. I wanted to be mad.

Today the voice was impossible to ignore. Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice!. . . be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God (Phil. 4:4,6)

And the truth is, I have much to be thankful for:

a van that generally gets us where we need to go
mechanics who know what they're doing
the money to cover unexpected expenses and still provide for our needs
the fact that the lawnmower broke when Danny was using it and not when I was using it
a lot of "friend time" this week - an unexpected blessing
a husband who works hard at his job and also works hard at home
encouraging brothers and sisters in Christ
a church family I absolutely love
four very un-boring children


And yes, I am even thankful that God loves me enough to humble me at the park by showing me that I am not above the law - even at a stop sign.

It's a choice, you see. I can choose to be angry and bitter and discontent. I can choose to bathe in self-pity. OR I can choose to train my thoughts on the gift of grace and eternal life I've been given, when I deserve eternal condemnation and death. I can choose to repent of my selfish attitude and praise God for the many, many blessings He lavishes on me every day.

And that is exactly what I choose to do, by His grace. God, I thank you that life is sometimes frustrating and hard. I thank you for the daily trials, which serve to show me my need for You. And I thank you that even though I sometimes have a bad day, or a bad week, I always serve a GOOD God.

. . . always giving thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God, even the Father (Ephesians 5:20)

8 comments:

Sue's Thoughts said...

Just know that I love both you and Danny and your family very much NO MATTER WHAT!

Charity said...

Thank you Sue. That means a lot, and is one more thing to be thankful for! I am glad to have you as a sister in Christ!

Chris said...

I try to find something to be thankful for in all things. I must admit - it can be very hard sometimes. In some situations I have to dig down so deep to find something I end up laughing to myself. example-cleaning up after the dogs......."at least their digestive system is working well"

Charity said...

Oooo, that's a good one! When I was cleaning up after Mr. Moo the past several weeks, my "thankful" thought was "I'm glad I live in the age of disinfectant wipes, and I'm glad it's not puke!"

Brian/Janie said...

I can fully relate to this...challenged by your example and the Word...thankful for you!

Charity said...

OK, now the dishwasher quit working and needs major repairs!! Giving thanks that for the last 6 years we've been spoiled enough to own a dishwasher - even if this means washing by hand from now on . . .

Margaret said...

talk to Linda about dish washing ;) She'll cheer you up.

Anonymous said...

hahaha! I know! I thought of Linda right away! :)

OK, this is really annoying - blogger is not accepting my password anymore, apparently.