Thursday, October 11, 2007

Family Week

I was convinced that after giving birth for the fourth time, I'd want nothing more than to jump back into my life as quickly as possible. I enjoy being active and there aren't too many days we just hang out at home.

Well . . . let me just say, I've never enjoyed spending a week doing absolutely nothing this much! Danny was able to take a week off from work, and we pretty much devoted the week to spending time with the kids and each other, and making sure Malachi got on a good eating/sleeping schedule. We're still working on that one, but we're off to a good start!

For the last 3 evenings before it got colder, we took a walk as a family, and twice went to a park near our house. I have the best memories from these times - watching Zekers tear up the pavement with his big wheel; laughing at the kids' hair as they came down the spiral slide; sitting with Malachi while Danny played basketball with the other 3 (it's easy to slam dunk when the hoop is about 3 feet high); staying up late with Danny, just talking (OK, and watching The Office). It has also been so cool to just spend time bonding with little Malachi, since he spends about 1/3 of each day just eating. Hopefully he'll get a little faster before too long.

It's not like everything's been perfect or completely stress-free. The kids have been a lot more emotional and quarrelsome with each other. Malachi refuses to sleep on his back. Rachel's been giving us the attitude of a 13-yr-old for the past few days. Karis has gotten more defiant (is that even possible?). And yes, we're all a little sleep-deprived.

But overall, it's been a good week. How could it not be, when we've had the most amazing meals and I didn't even have to cook them?? I also had to laugh when I realized that every single picture I have from the last week is of someone on the couch! More than anything, I've discovered all over again how much I love the family God has given me - how fortunate we are to have each other - and how happy I am to be able to stay home and care for them.

I'm a little nervous about how everything's going to be when I make that first trip to Wal-Mart with all 4 kids, or get all of them ready for church without Danny (he has to be there much earlier than we do!). I don't know how it's all going to work, but I'm sure it will provide plenty of material for future posts, at any rate!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sa-weet pictures! My best advice for getting everyone ready for church....do absolutely EVERYTHING you possibly can the night before while Danny is there, such as pack the diaper bag, fill juice or water cups as well as the snack bags, lay out all the clothes everyone is going to wear (including your own!), etc. Then, whatever you can't do the next morning, put Rachel in charge of doing! :):)

This has been a full week with soccer, but we are starting to see the end. Tournaments start next week....hurray! Saturday after I tutor the ESL students, do you think I might be able to come over and see you and the kids? Ok, let me be honest - can I come see Malachi??? It would be around noon. If that's a crazy time, just let me know and I'll adjust my schedule to fit yours.

Anonymous said...

I love the two pics! Your entry makes me miss having a real, little baby around. I'm glad you are able to enjoy it in spite of the exhaustion and emotion. I think that's one thing (of many) that we do a little better with each one...knowing to enjoy each precious moment! Oh, I will not get the baby bug from you, I will not get the baby bug from you, I will not get the baby bug......
:)

Eileen said...

Charity, So sweet. Especially precious is the happy picture of your little Kari Bou (did I get her name right) with her little brother. Must surely be such an adjustment for her! ;) Appreciate that you are so thankful for the blessing of your fambily...but also that there's *two sides to the coin* as you shared. Thanks for including a link to my Blog -yeah! And also for your comment about your visit to The Hermitage in St Petersburg. We have lots to talk about! EE

(http://russiawithlove.blogspot.com)

Anonymous said...

We all know you are a wonder woman, Charity, but why do you have to take all 4 to Walmart? I hope you don't burn yourself out doing things that others can help you with! Anyways, enough of that. Malachi is so cute. We can't wait to see him and hold him. It will be neat to see what his personality will be like. Love you,

Sarah

Charity said...

Dee - We would love to see you tomorrow! We're going to Brumbaugh's around noon, but we'll be here until then, and I'm guessing we'll be home by 4-4:30. If that doesn't work out, maybe Sunday afternoon?

Anonymous said...

ohhhh...i remember those days. d is right- get everything ready the night before! I didn't have any family close by when my children were really small, so I found out you CAN take 4 (or more) children to wal-mart. :-) God bless you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Charity, that picture of you & Malachi is so sweet. I think having a sweet, tiny one while having 3 (nearly 4) teenagers would be my undoing,:) but I'm terribly jealous of such cuddly pictures as these! I loooooved the tiny baby stage with each one! :)

It's amazing how an addition to the family changes all the dynamics between everyone else for a while. :) Hope all four settle down into a happy routine for you - sounds like a week of being laid back has been blissfully happy! Can't wait to meet your little guy sometime!

Brooke said...

Very cute pictures...I love falling asleep with a newborn in my arms. Thanks for posting that, it got me excited about another one :) Great advice about getting ready to go out the night before. I agree about never trying to take all 4 to Walmart! There are probably a few ways to avoid doing that!

Anonymous said...

Yes, its called, "Having relatives in town and/or a husband at home!"

Anonymous said...

"Yes, its called, "Having relatives in town and/or a husband at home!" ........OR Dropping 2 or 3 of them off at Randy and linda's house!! :) lg or all 4 of them for that matter!!!