Saturday, October 06, 2007

My Malachi

It's official . . . I'm in love with three men.

Malachi Joel Wright made his big entrance at 11:42 pm on Wednesday, October 3rd. He weighed 8-12 and was 21.25 inches long.

I was just convinced that since Kari's birth was so fast, the doctor probably wouldn't even have time to get there for his. Haha! It barely took any pitocin before the contractions began, but 7 hours later, we were all wondering whether his birthday would be on the 3rd after all! And then he decided he was done fooling around, and came out with 1 1/2 pushes.


I didn't even notice until after he was born what an audience he had. It was a teaching hospital, so in addition to the nurses, there were several students/residents present, as well as my doctor and Danny, and my mom.

The student thing was OK, but it made me a little nervous to know that the nursing student who gave me my IV had never helped with a delivery before. Apparently, she'd never put in an IV before, either. It's a little unnerving to hear the attending nurse tell someone who's about to stick a big thick needle into your arm, "No-don't put it there!" and then proceed to give step-by-step instruction as the nursing student breaks into a sweat. She got it in after 2 tries, so I guess it could have been worse.


I realized that, no matter how many children you already have, each one brings just as much joy as the last, and is just as precious, and every bit as much of a miracle as the others. I am blown away, once again, by how much I love someone I just met. My Malachi.

OK, I'm also blown away by how good it feels to lose 2/3 of my stomach (and by how depressing it is to still look 6 months pregnant!) I freak out every time, but it always manages to go away . . . eventually.

The one thing I didn't understand was that the nurses kept telling me how much I needed rest, but for about 5 hours after Malachi's birth, a continual parade of hospital staff streamed into and out of my room, givng instructions, explaining the menu, etc. In spite of all my best efforts, I fell asleep as one of the last ones was talking. The really great thing was being able to feed him, and send him to the nursery so we could at least enjoy one last night of semi-sleep.


So here we are - just the 6 of us. Rachel, of course, is thrilled with her little bro. Zeke enjoys holding him, but gets very freaked out as soon as the little guys makes a noise. Kari Bou . . . well, she likes holding him, too, but doesn't quite understand why she can't just dump him on the floor when she's done!

I have to hand it to Danny's mom - she did an amazing job with the kids for the 2 days we were away, and it can't have been easy. She called while I was in the hospital and for the first time I heard what everyone else hears when they call our house - the total chaos in the background! But it sounded like the had a good time, and they even had a big welcome sign waiting when we came back.

One last thing. If you want to see additional pictures of our little man, by an actual photographer, you can find them here.

Neither Danny nor I nor Malachi got much sleep last night, but at least Malachi is getting caught up today! He had a good little personality so far, and I can't wait until more of it surfaces as he gets older. It's just so cool getting to hold him in my arms and let him sleep on my chest.

I love you, little Malachi!


18 comments:

~~anna~~ said...

Congratulations! He's so adorable, but then you already knew that, right? :)
Hope you are all able to get some rest. Take whatever help you can get in the next few days.
Bob chuckled over the training nurse/IV situation.
Love you guys!

~~anna~~ said...

Ok, I just iewed his other pics. I want to pick him up and hold him. Does he really have strawberry blond hair? he's just tooooo cute!

~~anna~~ said...

allright...that should say I 'viewed' his other pics...guess the fingers have to actually make contact with the keys :0

Anonymous said...

Yay! So glad to have a post and pictures! Congratulations...he is adorable! Isn't it funny how having a newborn suddenly makes all your other kids look bigger and older? (noticed that in the pic of all of them) Here's hoping you get some rest!

Chris said...

I think Malachi may have more chins than I do!! He sure is a sweetie and smells sooooo good.

I had a blast with the kids. You never know what they are going to say. (I may even have learned some family secrets.....:0/!! I enjoyed the mornings the most when we all got to cuddle. Thanks for allowing me to be a part of it all.

Praise the Lord for another healthy baby.

Lauren Mott said...

AW, I love Malachi too!! Mazel Tov Wrights!!

Anonymous said...

And thanks so much for allowing me to view the miracle of birth. A mom doesn't really get to see the birth of her children and I'd never really seen one...Dad had when you girls were born. What an amazing act of God! I'm so excited for all of you and excited to see what kind of boy and then man MJWright will be! mom

PS Hats off to Chris!!

Eileen said...

Aw, shucks! Thanks to the divine MFEM I was alerted that you've already updated the blog about Baby. So totally precious. Wow! Really enjoyed these photos and the story. So special. How'd you get all that done so fast? I know, you have a live-in maid-assistant-blogmaster who 's giving a hand. =) Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS! And wishing you years and years of true love with your new little feller. EE

Brooke said...

What a sweetheart! He is adorable and you look great! Congratulations, Wrights! -Brooke

Mindy said...

Congratulations to you all. What a beautiful little guy he is and what a wonderful addition to your family. Thank you so much for the pictures. It makes people like us who are far away, feel close.
Love to you all.

Anonymous said...

yahoo! Way to go, Charity! You are so impressive...all you did before Malachi was born...and all you did to get him here. My very favorite picture is the one of you holding him in the bed. The look on your face couldn't be more precious. You look so serene...and so glad to finally have him in your arms. Congratulations, you guys! Can't wait to meet him.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Malachi is so cute~ Hope your first week at home goes beautifully - plenty of sleep & cuddles!

Anonymous said...

oh, i can't wait to see him in person!!! do i see a resemblance to zeke? hard to tell just from pictures, but there is something about the mouth and chin....

i love that picture on danny's blog! so glad you both posted quickly :):)

Jeremy Bear said...

Carey and I are thrilled for you both. At some point we really need to meet these children of yours.

Way to go, Wrights! 8 more to go for a baker's dozen!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations-- it looks like your whole family is excited about the new addition! Welcome to the three-child club!

Charity said...

Jer - we'd love for you to meet them, too! (for the record, we'd need 9 more for a baker's dozen, and I'm quite content at this point with "only" 4!)

Jeremy Bear said...

Wow, and I thought I was being clever (for some reason it was in my brain that this was your fifth. Of course it isn't... that would be insane!).

Maybe in '08? Eh!

danny2 said...

jer,

right now, i think we'll just refer to the 6 of us as an "insano's dozen"