Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Dumped Cake

Well, here goes the account of yet another bizarre happening in the Wright household . . .

For LIFE group last night, I made a dump cake. I remember thinking how nice it is to live in the Age of Pyrex Portables - to be able to just pack up your pan in a convenient carrying case and go.

This morning, running late for Bible Study, I was attempting to load two children into the car while yelling for another to come back from the street, and noticed that the remaining bit of dump cake was still sitting where we had left it last night - on Zekers' car seat (I guess there is ONE good thing about the current cold weather!). Annoyed, I took it out and finished loading the kids.

We had just finished lunch, and I thought there's just enough cake left to give to R & Z for dessert. But an extensive search of the kitchen, dining room, garage and car left me puzzled and empty-handed.

It was then that I remembered, as through a fog, setting the dish up on something - maybe the car!? just to get it out of the way. I gasped, searched the car top (nothing there), and told the kids to get ready: we were going to look for Mommy's dump cake. We began to retrace our route to the church, with Zekers in the back saying, "We're gonna find Mommy's dump cake," and looking proud of himself.

We found the cake, alright - about halfway between our house and the church - in someone's yard. Thank goodness for that carrying case, which now contained "glass chunk dump cake." The highlight of this whole scenario, though, was Rachel, who, as soon as I spotted the dish in the yard and brought it back to the car, congratulated me with, "Good eye, Mommy. That was amazing!"

And if I may add a little aside to this whole thing: When I came into the house to get the kids so we could look for the cake, I was greeted by Rachel, running toward me, wearing one of Danny's shoes on one foot and one of my clogs on the other, and NOT wearing any pants or underwear. She's done the shoe thing, and the no underwear thing, many times before, but not often at the same time, and not while attempting to run.

There are times in my life when words completely fail me. This was definitely one of those times.

5 comments:

~~anna~~ said...

Charity,you do know how to have a fun day, don't you? Most moms would have just taken the kids for a ride, but you thought to add "hide and go seek with a dump cake"
~~ And did you take pictures of all this so you could do a scrapbook page for future remembrance? Well maybe not of Rachel a-la-natural...

Anonymous said...

I am laughing SSSOOOO hard! What a RIOT!! YOu have a fun life!! What an adventure!! Sure glad we at least got to taste the dump cake last night before the glass dumped in it too! TOO FUNNY!!!!!!!!!! linda

Gary Underwood said...

no words.

just a crazy post.

I just love "dump cakes."

David said...

I'm sad about the cake. That stuff was awesome.

marissa finch said...

i love reading your posts!