Thursday, March 16, 2006

It's Over!

As I write, I'm heaving a huge sigh of relief.

About four months ago, I was asked to provide music for the March meeting of the Christian Women's Club here in Greenville. I was supposed to come up with 2 songs - one secular and one sacred. Well, they met in a different room than usual - one with no piano. And I don't exactly have a great selection of background tracks for secular songs (or Christian songs, for that matter!) My only option was to *GULP* dig out my guitar and go to it.

For the past two weeks I have been SO nervous!! This whole solo act thing, providing my own accompaniment, was entirely new to me.

It actually went OK, though. None of the cataclysmic disasters I've been visualizing all week came to pass. I didn't forget the words or have to make any up as I went, and it was kind of fun. Although I don't think the mostly-over-70 crowd really connected with my Michelle Branch selection! I also sang "Less Like Scars" by Sara Groves, and it totally went with the speaker's message - so cool.

Several good things came out of the morning:

1. I don't think anything else could have motivated me to pick up my guitar again after several years of not playing. But now I'm addicted!

2. I got to try something new: asparagus, mashed potatoes and cheese rolled up in a tortilla. Yum!

3. Phyllis, who sat by me at the brunch, is going to teach me how to make apple pie - with a super easy crust recipe! Yea - I don't think I've actually made a pie crust since getting married.

4. I won a really cool shamrock sweatshirt (won the contest for most recent birthday!) :-)

5. I learned that Danny does every once in a while give me good advice! (it was his idea to use my guitar and I fought him on it for a while)

And now . . . Cincinnati, here we come!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like you did so well charity! i miss talking to you :) hope you are keeping danny in line.

jason said...

Enjoy your weekend away. Hypothetically speaking, if Zeke swallowed a quarter, I would or wouldn't have to take him to the hospital? And second, I would or wouldn't get my quarter back? Just kidding.

Enjoy your time away, and give yourself some credit already on the blasted guitar, you sound great.

Anonymous said...

i talked with someone who was there in person...she said you did great! also, i was to ask how the shorter older lady who 'modelled' did? i was proud to say, 'charity is one of our pastors' wives!!

Charity said...

Anonymous - I wish I knew who you are! I think the woman you're talking about went first . . . she was a trip. :-) Actually, I thought all the models looked beautiful. It made me want to go out and buy spring clothes!

Jason - I hope he does swallow a quarter sometime when he's with you. Then when you take him in, they can extricate all the other loose change and I'll have enough money to buy coffee for a month!