Sunday, April 09, 2006

Eat Joe Dirt

Today I had a big BPM (Bad Parent Moment).

Picking three kids up from the nursery after church and getting them all in their coats/infant seat isn't as easy as it looks (haha). Actually, that part isn't so bad; keeping them all in sight while trying to have coherent conversations with people is the real trick.

Normally, Zeke runs into the auditorium to find Daddy; Rachel runs around with several older girls who think she's a life-size doll; and Kari, thankfully, sits contentedly - or sleeps - in her seat.

So it really wasn't that big a deal today when I finished talking and couldn't see Zekers. I figured he was back "helping" to gather Daddy's stuff so we could go home. In fact, when Linda, who I had been takling with, expressed concern that he could have run outside, I replied confidently, "Oh, he's never run out that door without me." (Of course, this is the kid who seizes every opportunity to run out into the street!)

When I realized he wasn't with Danny, I checked the kitchen and classrooms - and came up empty-handed. Finally, Lindsey, a student in our youth group, said to me, "I thought I just saw him outside." Now I was starting to sweat.

A search of the church grounds revealed my beloved 2-yr-old behind the church by the dumpster, with a large rock in one hand, a fistful of mud in the other, and a huge mud-framed smile on his face. Apparently, he had been quite hungry. And he wasn't at all ready to come back inside, as my mud-covered shoes can bear witness.

It was easy wiping the mess from his face and hands. It wasn't so easy getting my heart to stop racing. I know a person can lose their mind thinking about all the "what-ifs" but I can't stop myself from going there.

That does it - I'm investing in a couple of leashes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If Danny would just allow you to make the family tuna casserole little Zeekers wouldn't have to resort to eating mud.
I guess this means Zeke will be talking dirty for awhile.........

Anonymoooooooo

Charity said...

I think Danny would much rather his son ate mud (or sand or wood chips or rat poison) than tuna!

Anonymous said...

These kids need to learn to eat TUNABURGERS!!! That is their HERITAGE! So eat dirt, but for goodness sake, 'tuna-round' their diets and add this healthy food.

A Branch of Your Family Tree

PS If you don't, someone I know will find multi ways to sneak mushrooms into family dinners!!!!

Anonymous said...

These kids need to learn to eat TUNABURGERS!!! That is their HERITAGE! So eat dirt, but for goodness sake, 'tuna-round' their diets and add this healthy food.

A Branch of Your Family Tree

PS If you don't, someone I know will find multi ways to sneak mushrooms into family dinners!!!!

shoemama said...

I'm definitely doing the leash thing with Esther. She is already wandering off everywhere we go. I'd rather have her with me with a leash than not know where she is.

Hannah