Friday, May 05, 2006

Garage Sale Follies

OK, I was all set to write out a plethora of helpful hints on garage saling, but after the last couple of days, this post has taken a different twist! My "helpful hints" have turned into "things to avoid at all costs."

1. When a community garage sale is advertised in the paper for a certain couple of days, don't go a day early hoping to "beat the rush." You won't find a whole lot.

2. It is NOT an incredible deal to buy a Polly Pocket house for $1.50, if you have to spend $4.87 at Wal-Mart later that day because you realize your daughter does not have a Polly Pocket.

3. Do not attempt to buy an item that is not for sale. (for example: a wagon another shopper has left standing empty for a minute)

4. It's probably not a good idea, when you purchase one 50-cent item, to pay with a $50 bill (especially when you're one of the first customers).

5. Under no circumstance should you ever attempt to carry two carseats, a flotation device, a sleeping bag and a purse more than 8 blocks. This can cause severe cramping of the arms, lasting up to 12 hours (and making it very difficult to type).

6. Never park in such a way that you block a non-garage sale driveway because you need a parking spot and you think the person living there isn't home!

7. Sometimes an item will not have a price sticker, and the seller will just ask you to pay whatever you think the item is worth. If you suggest a price that makes her smile from ear to ear and jump up and down with delight while shouting, "That works for me!", chances are, you could have gotten away with paying a lot less.

8. Don't smile and wave at the angry redneck behind you who thinks you cut him off. Things can get a little scary from that point . . . (at least the whole community knows his horn works very well!)

It was a rough couple of hours, but I guess coming home with 2 carseats, a wagon, toys, blocks, clothing, shoes, movies, a sleeping bag and a baby flotation device for less than $25 helped a little.

5 comments:

David said...

Garage sales rock. The Palestine city wide sales over Labor Day are the best I know of around here. And speaking of garage sales, We and our friends are having one (hopefully) May 26-27 at our house.

Katie - do you still have at least one of those days and evenings set aside for us?

danny2 said...

couldn't a car seat have doubled as a floatation device in case of an emergency?

i kind of feel guilty, staying at home comfortably with the kids while you were braving the harsh elements.

Anonymous said...

sounds like quite the adventure!

Charity said...

Katie, We can definitely take you up on that offer! And Rachel's "princess party" is set for August 5th - she wanted me to be sure to let you know so you & Kurstin can come. Hopefully you won't feel too out of place with 8 3-yr-olds!

David, I would love to come to your garage sale. I'm sure I'll find some good books! I'm also looking for the "Little People Farm" - let me know if you're getting rid of one and I'll come early. :-) BTW, I really like the Palestine community sale, too.

Danny2, Don't feel too bad. You were braving elements of your own in staying home with the kids.

Rachel, see you soon! (are you coming home for the summer?)

~~anna~~ said...

I LOVE garage sales....have been able to get a few deals while at Shan's.
My favorite so far is a Little Bible songs cassette for 50 cents. It has 16 little songs....Jesus loves me, the B_I_B_L_E, Dare to be a Daniel, Jesus wants me for a sunbeam. Shiloh's favorite is the Jesus wants me for a sunbeam judging from her attempts to dance in the carseat while it is on.
Samuel even asks for it to be played every morning on the way to school.
The other 'goodie' is a little hardback book with Bible verses. One page is a verse, the facing page is a picture. Samuel (kindergardener) sat the other night and read about 12 verses to me. Then last night I heard him reading some to his mom.
To paraphrase the commercial :
Book of Bible verses--- 25 cents
Listening to your grandchild read it----priceless!