Wednesday, May 17, 2006

An Unexpected Gift

Do you ever somewhat jokingly ask God for something, knowing that it's pretty much "impossible" and will never happen? I myself practice this daily. My request? "Dear God - what I wouldn't give for just a couple more hours in the day!"

Today He actually granted my request.

As per my morning routine, I hit the snooze button several times when my alarm went off at 5:45. But I was meeting a friend for coffee at 7:30, so around 6:15 I finally rose, showered and got dressed. Something seemed a little wierd, but at that time in the morning, everything seems a little off to me!

I realized Danny wasn't in bed and went to the living room to check on him. Lately he's had a bad cough which has forced him to sleep sitting up on the couch some nights. As soon as I entered the living room, I saw it: the digital clock on our DVD player blinked at me - 4:33 am. I did a double-take. Yep, still 4:33.

Then it hit me. Rach & Zekers had been playing in our room the day before and must have hit the hour button - twice - on the clock beside the bed. So the dang thing was 2 hours off.

By this time I was fully awake, so going back to bed would have been useless. I decided to take advantage of my 2 extra hours. I took a long walk, spent time with God, got the kids' breakfast ready, and bought a week's worth of groceries - and had time to stop for coffee - all before 7:30. Wooohooooo!

And I discovered something. Everything is better before 7am! No traffic, no lines at Kroger or Walmart, the air feels cleaner and you can actually hear the birds singing. It's fun to watch the world wake up.

God is so good. He knows how weak the flesh can be, especially when it comes to getting out of bed. I am grateful for the extra hours (I even have time now to post!) I probably shouldn't get too excited, though - I may lose the hours tonight when I crash around 8:30.

5 comments:

~~anna~~ said...

I say God definitely has a sense of humor...I love the way he answered your prayer for a couple of extra hours in your day.

Shiloh just laid down on the floor next to the table where I am typing in the bookstore. She turned her head and said "Don't wake me..I'm sleeping!" ...I'm sure this will last...

marissa finch said...

It's true! Everyday for swimming it was so nice not having to wait forever at traffic lights b/c i always made right turns and at 5am there is no one on the road so red light/green light...who cares?!

David said...

Waking up too early and finding myself too awake to go back to sleep is one of those things I would never do on purpose but enjoy when it actually happens.

Anonymous said...

Hey, those hours are for old people. We actually like getting up and going to bed early. Thank goodness for TEVO or I would never see some of my favorites on TV.
Anonymooooooooo

jason said...

There's actually a time before 7:00 am? Who knew?