Monday, May 29, 2006

You Can't Afford Me!

I heard on the radio the other day that if stay-at-home moms were paid a salary for everything we do, we'd net about $130 grand a year. About six months ago, a news show gave an even "better" number: close to $150 grand.

I take issue with this whole train of thought for two reasons.

1. How did the researchers arrive at these values? They reasoned that a stay-at-home mom does the work of a part-time nurse, counselor, teacher, cook, laundry service, etc. (The list was pretty long and I've forgotten most of it). And they assigned a number by combining portions of the salaries for each, plus some overtime childcare pay.

The problem with this line of reasoning? Although I appreciate getting credit for nursing skills, really the only medical duties I've performed are administering Tylenol and putting on bandaids. Oh, and running one of my children to the hospital when he actually needed expert treatment. No one in their right mind would pay me to perform these tasks! (Although "Bandaid Technician" does sound pretty professional.) As for counseling, at this point I'd say I'm much more in need of this than my kids.

I don't have a degree in any of these fields. My degree is in secondary English Ed., so my kids won't benefit from that one for a while (except, of course, for the priceless benefit of having me correct all thier grammar). According to this formula, I'm not worth a fraction of the above amounts. In this respect, I'd be way overpaid.

2. Can you really assign a value to the time, attention and training kids receive from their parents? Not in a million years! They're saying, in essence, that the hours spent drying tears after a nightmare; changing thousands of diapers; reading Bible stories; teaching your kids how to cook, use the toilet, tie their shoes, problem-solve, etc.; instilling in your children godly values and helping to shape their very character; all this is worth ONLY $150, 000 a year??

The bottom line: Time spent with your children is priceless. If you are a parent, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If you are not a parent, it might not be a bad idea to thank your parents for everything they've invested in you. (This is much easier than forking over all the backpay you owe them for 18+ years.)

8 comments:

~~anna~~ said...

I was sent an application for jury duty years ago when Shan was about 2 years old. In filling out the paper I thought I would be smart and under "profession" I wrote chauffeur, nurse, beautician, short-order cook, author, etc" My list was quite extensive and I ended it by saying i was the mother of a two year old...They must have thought I was quite clever, as I had to spend a very snowy day in downtown Detroit awaiting an interview to see if I would serve. Snowstorm prevailed and I got sent home...

Anonymous said...

FRIDAY THE 2ND IT IS! i'll be shadowing a friend at the middle school during the day, but other than that, i've got the whole evening free and waiting for you.

Lauren Mott said...

last summer when i first became a nanny, i called up my mom IN TEARS and thanked her for everything she had ever done for me and landon. i sobbed and told her how i was sorry that i was bad and rotten when i wouldn't eat my food or go to bed. i bawled and told her that i would never take her for granted again.
after that initial phone call, i called her several times asking her why she actually had another kid after the first one...
bottom line:
professional nannying = effective birth control

Charity said...

I've also been told that:

Spending several hours in the Wright home= effective birth control (except for the parents)

~~anna~~ said...

allright charity and lauren... I about spit my coffee on the keyboard on your last posts...
After spending most of my time with a 8 year old, 6 year old and a 2 year old I now remember why God gives children to the young. Also, have a renewed appreciation for Abraham and Sarah!

Gary McDuda said...

My degree is in secondary English Ed., so my kids won't benefit from that one for a while (except, of course, for the priceless benefit of having me correct all thier grammar).

Um...spelling counts doesn't it? :)

Anonymous said...

I'm still waiting for that Check, although the lamp and the livingroom artwork were super!

By the way, you have a used-to-be-certified Algebra teacher offering free services. I just filed away some good things for use for several years down the road so when those prococious (??however you spell it) kids are ready, so am i.

MM

Anonymous said...

I'm reminded of the ad for Master Card.

For being a chauffer, nurse, cook, educator, manager, counselor: $150,000

Having the ability to spend time being the major influence in your children's lives: Priceless.