Thursday, October 26, 2006

Heaven Help Us When She Becomes a Teenager

2 MORE Rachel stories:


Last night on the way home from Cubbies, Rachel asked me, "Mom, why can't I be like God?" Of course, thinking I was seizing a "teachable moment," I replied, like anyone would have, "You can become more like God every day by obeying what He tells you to do."

"No, Mom, not THAT." (She's heard this song and dance before.) "When will I be as big and strong as God? "

"Well, Sweetie, you won't ever be as strong as God, because only God can do things like make the sun come up, control the weather, create a little kitten or heal someone who's sick. God can do ANYTHING."

There was silence from the back seat for a few seconds, and then she asked breathlessly, "Can He even make JELL-O?"

_________________________________________


On the way to Cubbies, earlier in the evening, Rachel & I stopped by the Dollar Tree to pick up a few items for the Operation Christmas Child boxes the kids were going to make. She picked out a Backyardigans toothbrush and toothpaste, and a small stuffed dog. We also bought her a little stuffed Ariel that caught her eye. (I know - I have a major weakness for buying her cute things from dollar stores, but hey - it's only $1.00)

As we loaded back into the car, I thought I'd try a little experiment and see how it turned out. "Rachel," I said, "We were just talking today about ways to make Jesus happy. I bet there is a little girl in another country who doesn't have any dolls who would just love to have your Ariel doll." I had this touching picture in my mind of her tearfully parting with her doll for the sake of a poor little girl somewhere, and then me going and getting her another doll and surprising her, to reward her for her kindness.

We had a pretty lengthy discussion about sharing and sacrificing for others. Finally, just when I thought she was coming around to make the selfless decision, she said, "Well, if I give my Ariel doll to a little girl who doesn't have one, I'm going to need another one."

After last night, I decided to take a break from looking for "teachable moments" for a while.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what would we do without jello? she has a good point. DOES he know how to make jello?

~~anna~~ said...

ah, priceless!!!
I sure hope after typing these *gems* into your blog, you are also printing them out to place in a scrapbook or journal (just incase the blog ever goes *hiccup* and they're lost forever!

Charity said...

Honestly, that's a big part of the reason why I keep a blog - to keep a record of day to day things I wouldn't write down otherwise. I suppose one of these days I should make a backup copy - just in case!