Thursday, December 28, 2006

So Long, And Thanks for all the Fish

So, a couple of things about our Christmas weren't necessarily what you'd call "expected."

It was really a wonderful day overall. We had breakfast, opened presents in our PJ's, and spent several hours figuring out how some of them worked. Later in the afternoon we drove to Ma & Pa Wright's house, where we had dinner, hung out and opened more presents. We had the kids in bed by 9:15, and watched "A Christmas Story" - the best Christmas movie ever made - for the 86th time. All in all, a best-case scenario. However, there were a few interesting elements to the day. . .

To begin with, none of our stomachs are accustomed to heavy fare in the morning, so the special breakfast I got up early to fix (french toast with strawberry topping and cheesy scrambled eggs) left all of us feeling a little sick. (A sidenote: I looked over as I was making breakfast, to see that Kari Bou had torn a page out of my magazine - the page with the recipe for the french toast - and was happily eating/shredding it. She must have known in advance that she'd never want to eat this meal again.)

Then there was the silly string I picked up the day before Christmas, thinking it would be just the coolest stocking-stuffer ever for both Rach and Zekers. I wasn't prepared for the tragedy that ensued when Rachel sprayed it and ran out the living room holding her nose and crying hysterically. I was really annoyed with her and her hypersensitive sense of smell, until I got a whiff of the stuff. I didn't know it was possible for silly string to give off such a stench. (The really great thing about it is when she's not cooperating, I just aim the can in her direction and she becomes amazingly obedient.)

One of the best parts of the day was taking down our tree. That's right - we got rid of our Christmas tree on Christmas Day, and we haven't suffered even a moment of remorse. I'm sure I've forever ruined any good opinion of me that remains out there, but even so, it was well worth it. See, I've discovered something about myself in recent years: I have exactly four weeks of Christmas spirit in me. Not a day more.

I'm always SO ready for the Christmas season to come. This year I began listening to Christmas music the week before Thanksgiving. We cut our tree the second day the farm was open - 2 days after Thanksgiving. We did all our decorating - indoor and out - that same day. I threw myself into shopping, mailing out cards, wrapping gifts, making cookies. We took the kids to a local mall so they could ride the "Christmas trian" and of course, saw loads and loads of lights. I took such delight in all of it. Until December 18th.

Without warning, it hit me: the "Bah-Humbugs". I was party-ed out. I was sick of watering the tree and the poinsettias. Sticking a fork in my eye sounded more appealing than doing five more minutes of shopping. I thought to myself, "If I hear 'Have Yourself a Merry Stinkin' Little Christmas' just one more time, I will spontaneously combust." I began having nightmares in which I endlessly rolled out cookie dough and frosted horrid little snowmen and reindeer cookies, while Rach and Zekers shoved handfuls of dough into their mouths and got flour all over their faces, hair and clothing, and I began yelling incoherently . . . Oh, wait a second - that wasn't a dream.

Anyway, one of the highlights of Christmas for me was finally getting my living room back. It looks HUGE after the holidays, without a 7-foot tree taking up half the room. I'm sure that, come next October, I will once again be chomping at the bit to welcome the Christmas season back into our lives, but for now - Adios, Navidad. I'm ready to get on with my life.

As for Zekers, "Santa" (alias = Grandpa & Grandma) granted him his greatest wish. Not only did he receive a spiderman costume, he got his little dog for Chrismtas. "Sparky" hasn't been out of his sight in four days. And the best part is that the dog is off-limits to Kari Bou!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

you have 4 weeks of Christmas spirit in you and not a day more ? you take down your Christmas tree on Christmas day ?

Have you no idea that Christmas starts on Dec 24 (not Nov 24) and lasts for 12 days? The Christ Child was born at Christmas and that's when the celebration starts... not when Mary was 4 weeks away from labor pains.

The true tradition is that you are supposed to decorate your tree on Dec 24 with the aid of family and friends. The tree stays up for the next 12 days of Christmas and you take it down after Jan 6. If you take the tree down before Jan 6, it is bad luck.

you seem to have succumbed to the retail merchandising propaganda where stores throw up Christmas trees after Halloween to extend their fiscally profitable end of year shopping frenzy. All of which has nothing to do with the story or true meaning of Christmas.

Anonymous said...

A real dog? The one in the picture looks stuffed, but it's hard to tell! Tip for next year: the coolest stocking stuffer ever is tattoo books....rainbow resources has really great ones!(unlike the ghastly ones from the grocery store machines) Anna got flowers, butterflies and ballerinas...the boys got insects and dinosaurs. Even Leah got one on her hand thanks to Anna, our very own tattooed lady. We now have tattoos to last us months....no more begging at the grocery store for gang symbols! Just don't tell my parents I bought the kids fake tattoos, OK? ;)

Anonymous said...

(just now reading anonymous comment) Well, 12 days is not enough time to enjoy the tree, in my opinion! If I'm going to work that hard to get it up....I'm going to enjoy it as long as possible. That's why we set it up early in December. Plus, for us the Christmas tree has nothing to do with the real meaning either, it's simply a pretty tradition.

I think Christmas gets to be burdensome when we just get too involved. (very easy for those in ministry) We say yes to too much, try to do too many things, and find ourselves hanging on for dear life instead of enjoying the beauty of the season. Some of this may be due to having small children...I guess I don't know yet. But, I completely understand!

Charity said...

Tarah - The dog is stuffed; the real one will have to wait until we move someday. :-) But he's so happy, you'd think it was the genuine article!

I didn't mean to convey that I don't enjoy the Christmas season - on the contrary. I just think next year maybe I won't start SO early with the music! I do wish there was some way to simplify things a bit and keep the calendar from filling up so fast during Dec. Hopefully it will be a little less exhausting when the kids are older. Thanks for the tip about the tattoos!!

Anonymous - Did Mary really go into labor on December 24? Is the "story or true meaning of Christmas" all about putting up the tree for 12 days so as to have good luck? Just curious.

Anonymous said...

i would just like to say that i have been reading your blog and i think you should write a book. somedays your stories give me a laugh that gets me through the day! so glad to hear you had a great holiday!

a former student of ~d's.

Anonymous said...

There you have it, my dear Charity! More confirmation of what several of us have said...go write a book! What does the Lord have to do? Hit you over the head? (Just kidding!) mm

Charity said...

Dee - I knew I could count on you to agree about the Christmas tree thing . . . and I'm sorry about your misadventures with lights, although I have to confess it makes me laugh a little. (ok, a lot) :-D

Former student of Dee's - thanks for your encouraging words! Comments like these get me through the day. :-)

MM - He doesn't have to hit me over the head; all He has to do is give me a little free time! :-p

Anonymous said...

Charity, Got our tree down today and all the outside stuff put away too.... I LOVE putting it up, but really ready for it to come down too! We put ours up first weekend after thanksgiving, and i'm like you, love the music!! I can't believe how BIG my living room got today!! :) ~d, i have to say, i lauged at the picture of your tree!! charity, tell rachel i love her as a blond!! ") lg