Saturday, December 30, 2006

Visiting the Hospital: What's Hot and What's Not

The following post is brought to you by Christine Wright (my mother-in-law.) Please feel free to pass on this information to anyone who might find it helpful. If you think of any additional suggestions, those are welcome, too!

Hi. I am Danny's Mom. As you may know, I have undergone several major surgeries during the past year; the most recent one was several weeks ago. I would like to offer a few suggestions that will help when you're visiting friends or family recovering in the hospital.

1) No matter how long it takes you to drive to the hospital, park, and find the patients room: ONLY STAY 15 MINUTES per visit. Remember, the patient is there to recover and heal. They may have had several visitors prior to yours. This is by far the most important point.

2) Many patients are on special diets. I was on ice chips for a solid week....which leads to my second item: Don't bring food or candy for the patient unless you have been asked to do so. If you don't want to go empty handed here are some suggestions: chap stick, SOFT tissues, toilet paper (enough said) hand sanitizer or lotions.

3) Don't talk about your past illnesses or someone who suffered from the same thing the patient is going through unless it is pertinent or positive. I actually had one person say to me, "My mother had the same thing you have and was comfortable until almost the very end when the pain finally got so bad before she died...."

4) Don't bring children unless they are family.

5) Remember the spouse of the patient. Maybe you could have them for dinner or run an errand for them while they are spending so much time at the hospital.

6) Don't visit if you or anyone in your home is sick. The thought of coughing is terrifying to someone with stitches....on this I can speak with experience! On that same note, be aware that laughing can hurt too, so be sensitive to body language.

7) If the patient appears to be in pain or very tired ONLY STAY 5 MINUTES. You can always visit them later when they are home or feeling better.

8) One of the sweetest things people did for me was to offer a short prayer before they left. It was a real comfort.

The knowledge that people are praying for you and care about you is unbelievably comforting. Hopefully this list will help you as you carry out the important ministry of encouraging those laid up in the hospital.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank your m-i-law for the suggestions, esp. what to bring. I was 2 floors below, visiting Joyce, while your m-i-law was there. Yes, I rec'd a call from your mom last nt. :)
Enjoyed your comments about the "Testamints."

Charity said...

ch - ok, now I'm really intrigued as to your ID. Maybe I should ask my mom . ..

Anonymous said...

Hi Charity!
I know who left you that last post...:)
I will tell you upfront that I am Karen (Ward) Vanderhorst. I had your husband in Sunday school when he was a lil'un - yes, it's true! I just wanted to thank you for posting Chris's suggestions about hospital visits. My husband was in about 4 times between October and November. All of those are perfect things to remind people about. My sister Jan sent me to your site, by the way... and I am happily reading your other posts as well as looking at your pictures. Of course Danny's kids look NOTHING like him and I'd never know Robin's kids, either.. hahahahahahahahaah!

Charity said...

Thanks for visiting my blog, Karen! It's always a treat to meet anyone who can tell embarrassing stories about Danny when he was little. :-) Probably the reason I have so much material for posts is that Rachel not only looks like Danny, she acts like him as well!