Monday, February 12, 2007

Highly Recommended

Several weeks ago, I finished reading a book I classify as a must read for anyone who has children or is anticipating children anytime in the near future. The book - Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp - is different than any other I've read on child-raising. Tripp lays out principles that go far beyond the behavior modification techniques found in most other literature, instructing parents instead to deal with the heart attitudes that drive behavior.

Drawing upon passages from God's Word, Tripp explains that effective communication and the rod go hand in hand; the rod becomes an catalyst to allow communication to take place - encouragement, correction, rebuke, entreaty, instruction, warning, teaching, prayer. I've got to be honest - I'd never thought to pray with my children after correcting them!

The author also encourages readers to re-examine the goals they've set for their children, citing Psalm 73:25: "Whom have I in heaven but You? And being with You I desire nothing on earth." He exhorts parents to make sure the content of everyday life fits this theme. And what should our ultimate goal be in parenting? To train our children to behave in a way that honors God - and to take them daily to the cross of Christ.

I've read many books that present the philosophy without much methodology. Tripp, refreshingly, offers several chapters on helpful ways to implement the concepts he presents in the first half of the book - from toddlers up through teenagers. A very eye-opening 211 pages!

The second book, which I finished just yesterday, is called The Treasure Principle, authored by Randy Alcorn, a pastor in Oregon. The central message is on giving, which didn't sound at all appealing to me at first. Truth be told, I really had no desire to be convicted on this topic, and only read the book at the continual urging of my dear sweet husband (and because it's short and an easy read!)

I wasn't convicted in the way I thought I would be. Alcorn doesn't guilt the reader into giving, nor does he in any way insinuate that those who don't give 90% of their income are in any way less "spiritual" than those who do. Instead he lays out the principle from Matt. 6, which he calls "The Treasure Principle" (Go figure!), and it is this: You can't take it with you, but you can send it on ahead of you. Simple but profound.

I've been familiar with Matt. 6:18 most of my life, I think, but never let its message penetrate my heart to the point of realizing that every resource I devote to furthering the kingdom here on earth, every sacrifice I make in this life, stores up future reward - treasure that will last FOREVER! No matter how great a fortue we amass on earth, it is so fleeting, so temporary and brings no lasting happiness.

The book has really caused me to search my own heart - and to begin at least praying for God's guidance as to how I can increase my faith by sacrificial giving. It's incredibly difficult for me to hold our finances with an open hand, but Alcorn speaks truth when he says that we do not own the resources God has entrusted to us. They are His, and we are but managers. I pray that I am a faithful one!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We read Shepherding a Child's Heart before we had kids and really enjoyed the principles then...Thanks for reminding me of that book. I need to grab it out and review the concepts again. I also really like Randy Alcorn's books but I have only read his novels. He's from my old stompin' ground : )