Wednesday, April 18, 2007

What's That Smell?

The wierdest thing happened this morning . . .

OK, yesterday was the worst day yet since Zekers began using the potty. The first three days were great, but since Sunday evening it's been all downhill. Yesterday we hit rock bottom when he woke up with soaked sheets, and pooped in his underwear twice within 15 minutes. He had several more accidents in the morning, and one at LIFE group in the evening.

Anyway. I put all his dirty clothes together and by the end of the day I had enough to make a load. Even though it involved about 5 pairs of pants and underwear, it was still a pretty small load, so I combined his clothes with some of the girls' and ours and a couple of towels, and got it going right before I went to bed.

So here's the wierd thing: I went downstairs this morning to put everything in the dryer, and I couldn't believe the stench that greeted me when I opened the washing machine. No joke - it smelled awful - definitely like poop. I ran the load again while I was at Bible study this morning, with extra soap and some Oxi Clean. I checked it again when I got home - same stench, although not nearly as strong.

I know I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer sometimes, but I didn't know what else to do, so I stuck the clothes in the dryer with about 4-5 dryer sheets, thinking the clothes had to be clean, and maybe I just needed to do something to get rid of the stench.

Well, when I went to get the clothes out of the dryer a little while ago, Zekers' clothes smelled pretty good, but Danny has a pair of pants and a shirt that now smell faintly of poop. I'm not sure how to break the news to him. Maybe if I spray them with his cologne no one will notice! Aaaagggghhhh!

The super good news is that Zekers had a dry night and, so far, has stayed dry all day. He even told the girls doing childcare that he had to go - a first for him! And the day got off to a great start with our discussion in Bible study. Praise God for good days! Now, if I can just figure out what to do about that poopy smell.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You just never noticed...Danny's clothes always smell that way!!

Anonymous said...

eh, toss 'em.

Charity said...

I sometimes wonder if our clothes all smell that way as a result of occupying the same quarters as babies/toddlers, and we're just impervious to the smell after years of living with various odors. Although I'm told it only gets worse when they're teenagers . ..

Anonymous said...

You need to beg Danny for a Whirlpool Duet- frontload washer and dryer set, they use less water and get clothes so much cleaner,and anyone with more than 3 children can justify owning one, so with baby 4 on the way you qualify. However if for some odd reason Danny refuses to fulfil your wish another trick I use is adding baking soda to each load which not only improves the smell but also makes the clothes much softer.(Walmart has a 4lb. box in the laundry isle for less than $2)
And just for the record when your little sweeties reach teenage years their smelly laundy will be the least of your worries.