Thursday, September 13, 2007

You've Come a Long Way, Baby

My little Kari Bou . . . isn't so little anymore!

I took this first photo of her when she was about 5 months old. I remember so well her little pink cardigan, and the toothless grin she used to flash me, with drool covering the bottom half of her face.

Today we went to the doctor for her 2-year checkup. I don't have a picture from the occasion, as I ended up taking all three kiddos and it was barely-controlled chaos for most of the visit.

It turns out, she's in the 35th percentile for weight, and the 95th for height. I have no idea where she gets the height - certainly not from me! It's also funny how younger children seem to hit milestones much sooner, probably because they want more than anything to be just like their older siblings and never seem to grasp the idea that they're actually much younger. I think Karis really believes she is at least as old as Zekers!

The only sad thing was the doctor discovered she has strep. I had no idea this was possible, but it's not in her throat - it's way down south. Who knew?? She's been irritated there lately, but I never would have thought it could be related to strep. I didn't know it was possible to get it anywhere other than in your throat! So . . . I left feeling both stupid AND guilty. Aaagggghhh!

The good news is, she's healthy otherwise, and getting to be more fun every day. In fact, I find myself not wanting her to grow any older, because she's just so sweet and snuggly and vivacious all at the same time. Some of the things I love best about her are . . .

. . . her mischievous grin and sense of humor
. . . the way her hair flips out on both sides of her head
. . . the way she climbs up in my lap and says "Hold me, Mommy" and buries her head in my chest
. . . that she loves to pull my shirt up so she can kiss the baby (she also says, "I love you, Ma-chai")
. . . the "Bapple" song (she repeats the word "Bapple" in a sing-song way about 20 times)
. . . She loves to sit on Danny's chest and yell "Bellywasher!" at the top of her lungs. She's got Rach & Zekers doing it, too.
. . . her bouncy, stumbly little run
. . . her inquisitive nature (or: the way she gets into EVERYTHING)
. . . her bear hugs and her sweet kisses
. . . her "intense" face that always makes the other 2 laugh
. . . the way she speaks her mind and asserts herself - even at 2!
. . . the way she sleeps at night - just like I do - on her stomach, with her head in the crook of her arm

I love you, Bou Bear!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karis is such a loving little girl, I love her hugs!
Aunt Hannah

Anonymous said...

She is uniquely adorable. It will be interesting to see her grow and develop as a person. Don't feel bad about the strep. I would never have known! Hope the potty thing is improving... no "accidents." mm

Charity said...

She had some major regression for a couple of weeks, but now is doing even better than before, waking up dry most mornings. It will be interesting to see how the baby affects her . . .

Anonymous said...

hm....reading the blog and looking at the pictures got me to thinking - it's time for an update on the pic of you and karis. better yet, get a pic of you and all THREE kids. or wait until all FOUR can be in it. that would be sa-WEET!