Saturday, September 15, 2007

Powerful and Effective

I didn't sleep much last night. I guess some of it could be pregnancy-related, but it was mostly because of a friend that's been on my heart lately - a friend who's fighting for her life against colon cancer. She's completed four weeks of daily chemo and radiation, and when I saw her yesterday, she looked - and felt - well. . . . like someone who's been undergoing treatments for 4 weeks. She's actually going off the chemo one week early, because her body has simply had enough. She's only five years older than me.

It would be difficult enough to go through all of this, but she's also raising 2 school-age girls; the youngest is in Rachel's kindergarten class and they're good friends. She's having surgery to remove the tumor in November and will be out of commission for quite a while.

Stacy is such a strong and beautiful person - so active and capable. It's hard to see her like this, and I can't imagine what it must be like for her husband and her parents. My heart has been so heavy for all of them, and for her precious girls.

Also, this morning, we found out a girl whose family has attended our church since we've lived here died in a car accident last night. She used to play drums in our youth worship band and is now in her second year of college. I cannot even fathom what it must be like to lose your own child - what her mother must be going through right now.

Isn't it just so much our nature, to want to be able to DO something to make it all better? But in each of these cases, and many others, there's nothing I can do - except pray. And that is what God convicted me about last night. Prayer is the most powerful tool at my disposal, and I treat it like it's some kind of second-class way to help. I've resolved to spend a lot more time crying out to God for people I love and for help for those going through the valley of the shadow of death. I believe God will reveal ways that I can provide help and encouragement; and there have been tangible ways I've been able lend support; but what could be more effective than first calling upon the One who "gives all men life and breath and everything else"?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Would you take a minute to pray for Stacy and her family, and also for Lindsay's family? James 5 says that "the prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective . . ."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Charity, I will pray for these needs. Stacy is a sweetheart. I look at it from the point of view of her mom as well. She too is seeing a child go through something so very hard AND seeing her darling grandkids face so much difficulty as well. That makes it a double whammy. But God is able to more abundantly than all we ask or think. Even today He chooses to heal some completely. Let's pray for a miraculous healing. mom

Mindy said...

Oh Charity, What a privilege to be able to lift our friends and loved ones. I will continue to pray for Stacy and will now be praying for Lindsey's family.

Thanks for sharing from your heart. Your church family is so fortunate to have you and Danny praying for them.

Anonymous said...

I just whispered a prayer for Stacy and will continue to lift her up. This year has been a tough one for us...as we have had several close friends battle cancer. Some are winning and some are losing the battle. God does hear those prayers though...and prayer changes things. Thanks for sharing your heart.

Chris said...

Charity,

You don't always have to "do" something for someone who is hurting. Sometimes the greatest comfort is just having someone be there in silent prayer and support.