Thursday, November 22, 2007

Fall Fun

For the past couple of weeks, we've been trying to settle into more of a routine (whatever that is). The kiddos still have their moments - and days - but lately I've actually been able to run errands with all four of them without too much trouble. (The free cookies handed out by the Wal-Mart bakery have provided great incentive; I've found I'm not above bribery in certain situations.)

Rachel, Zeke and Karis all love their little bro. Each one tries to help in his or her own way, as in the example to the left. Zeke discovered some old earmuffs and decided to help keep Malachi warm while we went out. Malachi was thrilled, as usual. I love this picture because if you can imagine away the infant seat, and pretend the earmuffs are actually headphones, it looks like he's in the recording studio, singing his little heart out.

It's been a full, and fun, couple of weeks. Saturday we watched the OSU/Michigan game with some friends, then headed out later in the evening for a horse & carriage parade. The kids were riveted, watching the horses with their festive decorations and brightly lit carriages. One particular carriage held a family who was obvisouly nuts - they had four kids and the oldest couldn't have been older than 5. I'm just glad the game was in the afternoon; last year the kids and I went to the parade without Danny!

Thanks to the warmer weather as of late, we've spent a lot of time outdoors, mostly raking (me) and doing our best to then scatter the newly-raked piles back over the lawn (the kiddos). I did manage to get a few cute shots of them together. I also got ambitious the other day and decided to try to take some pictures of Malachi in the leaves since he seemed to be in an OK mood.
Oh well - there's always next year! Believe it or not, he has started smiling and cooing much more lately. I tell you what - when he looks up and me and his little face lights up in a huge smile, I turn to mush. There just isn't anything I wouldn't do for the little guy. One of these days, I will capture him smiling on film . . .

We also decided to join our local YMCA this week. The best feature is the free childcare - I can actually go and work out in the mornings for a while. I'm embarrassed to say how long it's been since I've exercised. Yesterday, I dropped the kiddos off and got in a full 20 minutes before I was called back to the childcare area because they didn't know what to do with Malachi, who was "fidgety and fussy." So I strapped him into a front carrier and was ready to take him for a walk up on the track, when Karis started crying due to pee-soaked jeans, socks and shoes. She's been doing this about every third day for the past several weeks - usually when we're not home. Well, I guess 20 minutes on the elliptical is better than nothing!

And now, here I am typing away at 5:30 on Thanksgiving morning. When Malachi wakes up to eat at 5:00, there's really no point in going back to bed, and I get all giddy thinking about how much I can accomplish before the others wake up at 6:30 or 7. And then I just decide to waste the whole time typing and posting pictures . . .

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photos! The 'common thread' started in an earlier blog continues...Little Red "Caboose?"

Congratulations on getting back into exercise. Keep it up and hope it goes better in the future!

And Happy Thanksgiving...I've been at the computer since 6:30...you have me beaten!
mm

Anonymous said...

Charity, so love your blog showing God's amazing grace! Question: Do you have plans for this evenings meal? I didn't know if you had family coming in, etc. Fixing a meal for you is not a problem. I didn't think far enough ahead to ask you last week about your plans. I didn't write down your phone number in my address book, so can't call you. Just let me know. Fondly, er