Friday, December 07, 2007

I'm a Big Kid Now

It's hard to believe that my little Malachi is 2 months old already. We went to the doctor today - he weighs 12 lbs and is a whopping 25 inches long. He got pretty angry by the time he'd had his fourth shot, but about 5 minutes later fell fast asleep and has spent most of the day that way.

Things are slowly starting to improve. He's gradually crying less and smiling more (or maybe we just don't notice the noise as much anymore!). I asked the doctor about it today and he said it sounds like colic. Of course, to date, no one has been able to actually define colic, except as a state of constant crying; much less come up with a way to remedy it. It's supposed to go away after 2-3 months, so we're in the home stretch (hopefully!).

He's started sleeping longer at night. I usually put him down around 9:30 and he wakes up to eat around 2:30, 5:30 and 8:30. It works out pretty well for me - I shower and get a few things done after his 5:30 feeding before the other kiddos wake up. He takes 3 naps during the day and eats about every 2.5 - 3 hours. Not a bad little schedule.


My little man just absolutely melts his mommy. He loves his 2:30 am feeding; afterward he just smiles and coos and becomes the happiest baby - maybe because no one is jumping on him or smothering him with kisses while he's trying to eat, or yelling in his ear or trying to feed him a cracker. It's just baby and Mommy time, and I have to say, I will miss that part of it when he starts sleeping through the night. He's also taken quite a shine to his big brother. All Zekers has to do is start talking to him, and his little face just lights up and he tries so hard to talk back. It cracks me up.

So here is a picture of our happy little guy. Words cannot describe his sweetness. I am completely and utterly smitten. End of story.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

these are the best pictures yet!

you may have hit upon the solution to the family photo....take each one individually, choose a background and photoshop everyone in! :)

Eileen said...

Ah, how precious a mother's love! Sweet little smile! Alert - pretty blue (?) eyes! Glad he's smiling more, crying less. ;) Thank you for sharing! EE =)

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean by being smitten. I'm smitten by my little boy and he's growing up way too fast - 10 months tomorrow!
Hannah

Charity said...

d - the thought has actually crossed my mind! do you think it's too late to add photoshop to my christmas list?

eileen - his eyes are blue so far and i love them!

hannah - oh my, has it been 10 months already? i can't wait to get the 'my first christmas' pic of the three cousins!

Anonymous said...

Hi Charity,
I read your blog and I hope you don't mind if I impart some of my nursing knowledge. Baby colic is simply a medical term for a healthy baby that constantly cries for some unknown reason. It's not a diagnosis, which means there is no prescribed treatment for it. If a baby constantly cries and a doctor cannot find anything wrong, then the doctor will simpy say the baby has baby colic. This is actually a good thing because it means the baby is healthy and the crying will likely abruptly stop one day. There are theories about what causes colic. Majority of babies who have colic are bottle fed, and the hypothesis is that abdominal pain caused by gas is the cause of colic. Likely from a baby sucking in air from the bottle. some doctors will give a baby medicine to treat gas. sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. but that is just a theory. no one really knows what makes a perfectly healthy baby constantly cry, but it always eventually goes away. hope this answers some of your questions.
Anthony

Charity said...

anthony - thanks for the info! it's good to know he's healthy - especially his lungs, apparently - and i just hope that "eventually" (as in, "it always eventually goes away") means within a week or 2 . . .

danny2 said...

i can think of three reasons he cries...

rachel

ezekiel

karis

Jodi Bradshaw said...

He is already looking so different. He is growing to fast! I am so excited when I can have him over for play dates with Owen. I love the pictures - what a cutie!

Anonymous said...

my mom says i was a very colic-y baby and i turned out just fine:)

-katie puckett

Lauren Mott said...

Hayley Ashbaugh and I both had colic. And we are super-normal-high-functioning adults today.
However, we were abnormally annoying in our pre-teen years though.....hmmmm. Good luck ;)

Anonymous said...

He has a very grown up face! How cute, but who does he look like?

Sarah

Charity said...

Katie and Lauren - i wouldn't mind at all if he turned out like you 2 . . . except maybe a little more masculine. :-)

Sarah - he looks a lot like baby pix of Danny! same little face. rachel likes to say he needs to grow into his eyes.

Anonymous said...

No surprise this boy is handsome and coming into his own! I heard a WONDERFUL bit on baby dedication yesterday by nancy leigh demoss..it made me think of my own 'babies' and your little Malachai. You are a great MOM!
Janie R.

Charity said...

Thanks Janie - i absolutely love Nancy Leigh DeMoss!

Brooke said...

He really is getting big! I can relate to the joy of "crying less, smiling more"! Every little step makes a difference when they are crying so much! Hope he continues to improve in the "colic department."