Saturday, December 01, 2007

Giving Thanks and Cutting Trees

It's been a week, but I am finally putting up some pics from Thanksgiving. . . .

We spent Thursday with Danny's side of the family - his dad, mom, sister and her family, and grandma Thomas; and they were all really good sports about Malachi, who cried pretty much all day long, with a few short breaks when he slept. The kiddos had a blast playing with their cousins, Quinn and Ian, and we only had one minor mishap, when the end table hit Rachel in the head (her words). We wolfed down manicotti, a Wright family Thanksgiving tradition, and had a very fun and relaxing time. We even managed to photograph all of the cousins together, although Malachi was none too pleased with the arrangement!

Friday we headed to my parents' house and spent part of the day with them, my younger sister and her family and our grandparents. We attempted a family Christmas photo, but with the kiddos, you only get about 2 tries before they've reached their limit with sitting still and looking at the camera (sort of). Danny and I disagree on this one - he thinks we should send this picture out, and I have to admit, I love the idea of not having to go through taking another one, but I hate to spend that much moolah sending a picture to all our out-of-town friends where Zekers just looks so angry. Sigh . . .

Saturday we took our annual trek out to Sickle's Christmas Tree Farm and cut a tree. This year we decided to go a little smaller and ended up getting a 5-footer, 2 feet shorter than last year's tree. For the first time since we started this tradition 6 years ago, I was in no mood to go out and cut a tree in the cold and wind, but the kids would have been devastated by my "bah-humbuggedness", so off we went, and had our tree cut within the first 5 minutes of our arrival. I'm not posting a picture of our sad little tree - suffice it to say the thing looked much better at the farm. But Rach and Zekers had a blast stringing colored lights and hanging ornaments, and we put the tree up on a little table in front of the window, so from the outside it looks pretty festive. Kari Bou found her own little "tree" and posed with it oh-so-proudly. The guy who seemed to be in charge of things told me to email the pic to them and they'll put it on their website. I'll post a link to it if they do.

This weekend we've done a lot of Christmas shopping and cookie-making. Now that Zekers is old enough to help, he was put in charge of sprinkles, while Rachel and I worked on frosting them - stars, bells, Christmas trees and gingerbread men, who mostly ended up like Tiny Tim and the Headless Horseman! Good times . . .

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is soooo fun!! I see your pic of the cousins, and that is the way our family has done our "cousin pics" ever since I was little! Line 'em up on the couch, oldest to youngest!! We still do that !! I love it!! And by the way, I passed by your house on the way to the grocery tonight, and you tree does look very festive!! I LIKE 'charlie brown' trees!! love ya! lg

~~anna~~ said...

If the fact that I place your family photo on our frig when it comes each year gives me a vote, I vote with Danny.
You've heard the saying "A bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush"? In this attempt you only have 1 unhappy participant..who knows what another sitting might produce! Danny scowling in a family photo might NOT be good to send out :)

Anonymous said...

do you have someone take the picture, or do you have a tripod and use a timer? if you want a tripod so that you can choose your moment to take a picture, i'll let you borrow mine :)

Charity said...

d - I think in a couple of years a tripod will be a great thing for our family pic. But right now, we kind of need 2 or 3 people taking it: 1-2 people to try and get the kiddos to smile and actually look at the camera, and one person to snap the picture at the precise second everyone is cooperating at the same time. i'm afraid a timed pic would capture Danny & I pointing at the camera, and the kids all looking off in different directions or at us, and talking. Thanks for the offer, though . . . i take it that means you agree with me that the picture is dookie!

~~anna~~ said...

*i'm afraid a timed pic would capture Danny & I pointing at the camera, and the kids all looking off in different directions or at us, and talking.*

oh c'mon...that would definitely be fun to put up on our Frig. It would give me a smile every time I go by the frig! ha! I vote for that one!

Anonymous said...

hm, then how about if i come over and pretend to eat and/or poop out cotton balls? would that get everyone to smile (except Kai)?

Charity said...

LOL - It's a deal! Just tell me when you want to come over and we'll have the cottonballs ready. :-)

Anonymous said...

Ugh....we have to do the family picture thing too here soon. I was trying to decide whether we should just do the four kids (MUCH easier) or try to do all of us. I'll be looking forward to having a new Wright picture on our fridge! And, did I hear correctly that you guys will be back this next summer? YAY! How fun will that be? :)

Anonymous said...

Such a sweet family picture. You are gathering wonderful memories that you will have for a lifetime. In a very short time you will be looking back and all four will be in school.
Have a Merry Christmas. Hopefully our cards will go out before Christmas has come and gone.
love,
m