Monday, January 07, 2008

Book Review: When Sinners Say "I Do"

This is the last book review (for a while) - I promise! The 2 in the below entry are just brief synopses of a couple of other marriage books I've recently read, for whoever is interested.

And now . . . the book I've been chomping at the bit to review ever since I read it!

When Sinners Say "I Do" by Dave Harvey

When I finished the last sentence on the last page of this book (actually, long before that), I felt like shouting a hearty "Yes!" I could easily fill 5 different posts with quotes by this author, except that I'd run out of time and you'd run out of patience. I read things that I (sadly) would never expect to read in a marriage book - things I've never come across in any other marriage book or study (and I've read and participated in lots of them). I'll try and lay out some of the key concepts:

Right out of the gate, the author states his premise: "What we believe about God determines the quality of our marriage" (p. 20), and "How a husband and wife build their marriage day-by-day and year-by-year is fundamentally shaped by their theology" (p. 21). He explains that what we believe about God and living for God equals our theology; so in other words, a theologian isn't just some smart old guy who lives with his nose buried in books - each one of us is a theologian. The way we speak to and act around one another reveals the basic assumptions of our worldview, or theology.

On p. 23, he goes on to say that "It's a wonderful, freeing thing to realize that the durability and quality of your marriage is not ultimately based on the strength of your commitment to your marriage. Rather, it's based on something completely apart from your marriage: God's truth . . . "

DH explains that the focus of marriage is the glory of God: "Marriage is for our good; but it is first for God's glory" (p. 25). He lays out marriage as a picture of Christ and the church; then highlights the gospel, and emphasizes the reality of sin. Without a full realization of our sinful nature, we will blindly try to make things work on our own.

He devotes the next 2 chapters to the problem of sin, quoting a pastor named Thomas Watson, who says, "Till sin be bitter, Christ will not be sweet" (p. 30). Every once in a while, I read something that jolts me into actually putting the book down in order for the words to simmer inside my brain (and my heart!) for a while. This was one such occasion.

While it seems a little nuts (or so I thought, at first) to spend this much time on sin in a marriage book, it makes total sense when DH explains it. He goes into the unbiblical expectations husbands and wives have for each other; granting our spouses the same lavish grace that God extends to us; finding true humility in the realization that I am the worst of sinners, and anything I do that isn't sin is simply the grace of God at work in me. I must come to see that the worst problem in my marriage is me!

He describes sin as a battle - not husband versus wife, but the desires of the flesh versus the desires of the Spirit (p. 48). He says, "Sin would have us see God as accountable to us for our wants . . . some magical genie whose only job is to make right whatever is currently bugging us . . . " (p. 55). But he ends the segment on sin with the words, "Even our conflicts have redemptive possibilities because the war with sin is won in Christ, by the grace and power of our Sovereign God" (58).

He addresses the desire to "fix" our spouses, spelling out truth from Matthew 7:3-5 about removing the log from our own eye before reaching for the speck in our brother's eye. The inspection must begin with me; it's the only sin I can directly change. He says, "To try to justify ourselves is to deny our guilt before God" (p. 69). We must also admit that our circumstances - and our reactions to them - only serve to reveal the sin that's already inside.

I learned that the source of my ungodly words and attitudes toward my husband is not unmet needs, but unsatisfied desires. DH spells out the difference between a genuine need and a "need" invented by a self-indulgent culture; the sin is not in the desire itself, but in how much I want it.

Chapters 6 & 7 are absolutely wonderful - all about mercy and grace and forgiveness. He explains that forgiveness flows through a pipe with three valves: repentance and a request for forgiveness; mercy; and a willingness of the one sinned against to absorb the cost of the sin. Ultimately, "Forgiven sinners forgive sin" (p. 108).

He talks about how to biblically handle confrontation for sin in a spouse's life, saying that "the goal for a surgical conversation is not simply to smooth things over; it is to care for our soul mate and ultimately to connect him or her to God" (p.131). He discusses "stubborn grace" - the power to renounce the old; the power to live; the power to wait; and the power to want. "When a spouse communicates grace, we move beyond mistakes and the journey becomes enjoyable" (p. 150).

Then, of course, there's the necessary chapter on sex! DH has a really great take on the subject, saying that techniques and new ideas can be great, but sexual problems in a marriage are rooted in the heart, citing sloth, bitterness and unbelief as three primary culprits. He concludes by saying that "romance must be practiced, like an art" (p. 167).

When I saw the title of the last chapter, I almost put the book down and decided I was finished. "When Sinners Say Good-bye" just didn't seem a relevant topic for me at this point in my life. Boy, was I mistaken! I would go so far as to say this may have been the best chapter of all. He talks about God's calling for Christians to die well . . . "whether, through sanctification, our souls are prepared for the ultimate reality of death" (p. 170). We are to assist in the process of preparing one another's souls for eternity! What an incredible honor and weighty responsibility. He talks about dealing with grief when a spouse passes away - not withdrawing in self-pity, but realizing that our race is not yet over and there are so many ways the grieving spouse can be used by God, and how even a heavy loss is light and momentary in light of eternity. Such a loss can actually produce glory in us.

Final Analysis

Read this book!! It is challenging, convicting and thought-provoking. It is extremely well-written. The author is direct, yet gracious, often using humorous illustrations that make the content more palatable. After reading probably a dozen books on this topic, I've finally found one that goes the distance, penetrating to the very heart of marriage: the gospel and the glory of God.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

SO, Charity, tell us how you REALLY feel about this book! ;-)

This sounds like a book that really hits the nail on the head. Can you teach old dogs 'new' tricks?

The author of the "For Women Only" book is Shaunti Feldhahn or something like that. I heard her on Christian radio and I agree, it DOES sound like a good book.

mm

Anonymous said...

Wow, maybe there IS a perfect marriage book after all? Sounds like one I must order right away! I liked Sacred Marriage mostly b/c I hadn't ever read one that pointed to the theological significance of marriage....emphasizing eternal goals and the unavoidable link btw. our daily relationship with God and our marriage. It sounds like this one has that, yet also covers more ground on a personal level! Can't wait to read it.

And HEY, don't make promises like that....I love book reviews!! :)

Anonymous said...

I also went through the Love and Respect Seminar in Sunday School a few years ago. It was OK. Practical and true for the most part. I just get tired of the neverending gimmicks and 'how-to' lists that marriage seminars/books tend to hold forth. "Do this, do it this way and you will do better"! And it's generally stuff that's been said through the ages...just packaged in a new, catchy way. After learning new love languages, testing to find your personality type, redefining your difficulties ala 'crazy cycle'.....you just get left feeling like someone needs to get to the root of things. Nothing wrong with any of those ideas, but the power to fix isn't in the practicality or the ability to correctly identify the problems!

So.....when are we going to discuss parenting books?

shoemama said...

Charity,
The books I mentioned are by Shaunti Feldhahn, and it's been awhile since I read the one and I liked it, but you would probably think it was shallow. There's not a whole lot of theological stuff, but it had a lot of practical things about the oposite sex and what makes them tick.
I'm telling you, you need to just write a book someday -you're well on your way with this post :-)

Brooke said...

Thanks for all the reviews and pictures in your earlier post. This book looks very compelling and I will look into it on our recommendation! Thank you for sharing these thoughts with us!

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! Finally something that sounds like a winner!

Kati

Charity said...

When it comes to parenting . .. the only books I've read are: "Boundaries for Kids" , "Shepherding a Child's Heart" and I've just started "Making Your Children Mind Without Losing Yours." I'm always open to ideas for good parenting books (very, very open. . . in fact, desperately open!!)

Anonymous said...

I've read the Tedd Trip book too, plus "To Train up a Child" (by the Pearls), "Growing Godly Tomatoes" (very new one), and have been through a Growing Kids God's Way seminar (Ezzo). My current favorite is "The Mission of Motherhood" by Sally Clarkson. It doesn't cover alot practically though, it's more about turning our hearts as mothers towards our children and seeing the eternal perspective. You would probably really appreciate it. I haven't read, but wonder if I'd like "Sacred Parenting" by Gary Thomas. Since I liked his theological approach to marriage, I imagine he'd have a similar take on parenting.

Does Dave Harvey do parenting?

Anonymous said...

Just a couple come to mind: Bringing up Boys from Dr. Dobson. Gives good perspective if you tend to run low on patience with your little men. Also have read To Train up a Child by your not-so-favorite author, Debi Pearl and her husband. A lot of good ideas in the book, also alot of wacky ideas. (I think she said she potty-trained her 3-month old!) If you choose to read, beware to eat the meat, but spit out the bones!!

Kati

Charity said...

tarah & kati - thanks for the recommendations!! at this point i feel i could easily write a book about what NOT to do as a parent . . .