Friday, January 11, 2008

Taking Tattling to a Whole New Level

When Rachel informed her Sunday School teacher 2 years ago that Danny and I spank her because we think it's fun, I pretty much figured we may have an interesting go of it during her early school years. This week, my fears have been confirmed.

About once each week, Rachel's kindergarten teacher sends home little books with her to help with practicing sight words and reading. I keep these in a box in the closet, all together, so they are readily available and to prevent the other munchkins from scattering them around the house.

Tuesday, to my extreme chagrin, Rachel says to me, "Mom, Mrs. B told us today that we need to be working on the books she sent home, but I told her you hide them from me."

"What!? Why on earth would you say that?"

"Because I don't know where they are."

At this point it had been several weeks since we had worked on those particular books, since Rach received a beginning reading book for Christmas and I thought it would be a nice change of pace. Apparently, to her this meant we were furtively sneaking her books off to some secret hiding place in the hope that she'll never learn to read.

But this one takes the cake.

Her teacher is wonderful about sending home papers with Rach nearly every day - poems, songs and activities that they work on in class. She also brings back completed homework, proudly displaying the stickers she's earned, and information about everything from school policy to fire safety. Needless to say, we'd easily fill an entire filing cabinet with all the papers. So, when she brings home a song her class sang that is unfamiliar to me, sometimes I . .. . well, I pitch it. I usually try to throw something in on top of these papers to cover my tracks and prevent meltdowns.

Tragically, I slipped up a few days ago (I believe it was the day after the aforementioned incident), got distracted by someone screaming for my boobs, and hurriedly threw the papers in the trash without covering them up. Well, you can just imagine the hysterical scene that followed when Rachel, who I'm convinced has some kind of radar for these things, discovered the papers, with splotches of soup on them, in the trash can. Many tears and rantings inevitably followed, but we finally got her calmed down and out the door for AWANA.

Of course, she informed us the very next day, with all the righteous indignation of a 5-year-old, "I told Mrs. B that you threw her songs away."

"And just how long did it take you to relay this information?" I inquired.

"Oh, I told her as soon as I got to class."

I think I might just call in sick for our next parent-teacher conference.

9 comments:

M said...

I laughed out loud at your post today. Mostly because in almost every detail sounds like I wrote it except mine is a 4 year old (who also has a radar for the pitched homework or glue laden Sunday School art project)and I just left parent teacher conferences where I thought better of telling her teacher that my daughter Emily said she has "ruffles like Grandma" (aka loose skin on her arms) and pray that she hasn't mentioned it to her teacher herself. May God bless your parental efforts!

Lauren Mott said...

Hahaha!! Rachel is cracking me up all the way in Connecticut:)
Um, I might have been doing similar things in high school. When I was a senior, I told my two friends (the school secretaries) that my parents were celebrating their 15th wedding anniversary. Their math was super-sharp, they eyed each other over the desk and said "Oh, isn't that nice, Lauren!"
My mom made me fix it the next day.

~~anna~~ said...

These are too funny! Thanks for the chuckles!
When Shan was four we moved to Winona Lake to the mobile home park next door to Grace. After we had been there two year, the neighbor lady (whose daughter was Shan's best friend) said she needed to ask me something that had been bothering her for a while. ((Oh dear!))
It appears Shan had a very active imagination and had *revealed* that she used to have a little sister, but that she had disappeared one day and we never found her, so that was why we had moved!
Guess spending her 1st 4 years living in Detroit, and hearing the news on TV, had really fired her imagination.

Anonymous said...

OK, you guys are scaring me! I'm mentally making a list of who my kids possibly bare their souls too. I do remember two conversations the boys' sunday school teacher told me about though. It was hilarious (since I wasn't featured), someone said something about their parents "tooting" which sparked a huge outpouring of all their parents habits in that regard. My friend (the teacher) could scarcely control her laughter to stop the conversation! Another time, the kids were discussing when/if their parents fight. One little girl sadly said, "My parents won't get any presents from Santa Clause"

Don't worry, Charity....surely Mrs. B. can tell that a smart and delightful child like Rachel MUST come from a loving, caring home! I bet she hears worse things!

Charity said...

LOL!! thanks for the entertaining comments! it's good to know i'm not the only one in this boat, and i guess at least i should be thankful none of my kids has shared with a teacher about our bodily noises (so far). . .

Anonymous said...

i believe about half of what my students tell me about their parents and hope the parents do the same for me :)

Chris said...

Rachel told me you like coffee because it makes you poop......

Anonymous said...

The possible reason for the 'tattle' in the first paragraph is that you have forgotten to say what generations of parents often said..."This hurts me more than it hurts you!" So...it MUST be fun for you to spank her! mm

marissa finch said...

all i can do is laugh..and laugh and laugh...this was a good idea to read your blog after i realized i did 10 spanish assignments on the wrong chapter and i am getting no credit for it:( im feeling better now! haha