Monday, March 24, 2008

Avocado, Estrogen and Insults

What do these items have to do with each other? Nothing, really.


I tried to hold him off for as long as possible, but eventually I had to start feeding Malachi "real" food. We started out with avocado, and while he wasn't crazy about it at first, he now gobbles his green goop with gusto. We've moved on to sweet potatoes and several different kinds of cereal. I think I may get really crazy and try giving him banana tonight.

It appears I sang the Halleluia Chorus a bit prematurely last week when he began sleeping until 6:30am. For the past several nights, he has been waking up twice at night, and then again by around 6:30 or 7:00 - and drinking huge amounts of formula and breastmilk every time. The other night, I figured that between the hours of 9pm and 7am he consumed around 25 ounces! I keep telling myself it has to be a growth spurt, as I begin to despair of ever again getting a full night's sleep. Danny has been a huge help with this; since Malachi will drink formula, we alternate getting up with him throughout the night.

Saturday I got a really special treat. I thought I was meeting my friends Jodi and Isabel for coffee in the morning, and when I got there, discovered that they had invited some other dear friends to join us, in celebration of my birthday. It's so much fun to spend a couple of hours with girlfriends every once in a while; we all sat there sipping tea and coffee, eating muffins and scones and laughing. These times are like gold for me - rare and precious.

Sunday the kiddos were all involved in a little Resurrection Sunday program. Zekers and Kari Bou sang and did the motions to a number of songs: Praise Him, Praise Him, All You Little Children; Jesus Loves the Little Children and Jesus Loves Me, among others. This was Karis' big debut; she's never sung in front of an audience larger than 5 before, so I had no idea what to expect. But she absolutely loved it - she did all the motions (usually a little late!), and clapped for herself after every song. I just love watching the 2's and 3's age group - they're all so cute.

Then Rachel sang several songs with the older kids - they even signed one of them and sang the last one as a prayer. It would have been such a precious moment (I zoomed in with the cam corder hoping to really capture her sweetness as she closed her eyes and sang to Jesus), if she hadn't been chomping on a huge piece of gum the whole time. It kind of ruined the effect - but at least she was able to chew and do motions at the same time.



Afterward, they got to spend some quality time with grandparents; both Danny's and my parents watched the "show" and then came over for dinner. Zekers got to open some of his birthday presents - he'll turn 4 on Thursday. Malachi was loving all the attention. I haven't been able to get him to sit yet without falling over, but he loves to play on his stomach, and to stand up. What can I say? He's been different from the get-go. . . .

Since the kiddos have been slinging around some bizarre statements this week, so I thought I'd share a few with you:

Rachel pointed out to me the other day while I was feeding Malachi, "Mommy, Malachi is the milker and you're the cow!"

Zekers has been going around all week pretending to be "Captain Bad" and calling Karis "Baby Bad". Why? "Because we're pirates." (duh)

I was in the process of flipping out over something yesterday while driving the kiddos around in the van, when Karis said to me, "Mama, get a gwip!"

I guess I should take my cue from her, eh?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of milking....wait til you hear what Johnny said to me a few weeks ago. "Mom, do you know why I want to be a farmer? Because I really want to touch a cow's udder....it looks SO soft" !?! After Matt was done snickering...we decided we might should step up our prayers on his behalf! ;)

Hey Charity, have you ever heard of this place? http://www.dreamdinners.com/main.php?static=index
I noticed there are some not too far from you. Sounds like a great mother's day gift to me! Unfortunately, there are none in WI. :(

Charity said...

No, I'm not familiar with it, but it sounds like it would be worth checking into. That's hilarious about Johnny - kids say the funniest things sometimes! :D

Michelle said...

Wow! that is a lot of liquid to consume overnight. I guess you don't have to worry about him becoming dehydrated.
:-). Looking for my gwip, Michelle

Anonymous said...

i'm sure she called you "cow" in the nicest sense of the word.... ;p

i think i'm definitely spending some time in the nursery on Sunday. I miss your kids - and they have the best stories to tell!

PS - i felt so OLD last saturday listening to all you young moms talking about your young children and everything! then i realized it was an honor to be invited into such company :):)

Chris said...

Green stuff coming out of the mouth is ok.....green stuff coming out of any other orifice is not ok.

The kids did a great job on Sunday. They are growing up so fast.

Give Z a birthday hug from me.

Charity said...

Unfortunately, when green stuff goes into, and consequently comes out of , Malachi's mouth, it also comes out of other "orifices" later in the day . . .

Anonymous said...

so i got home a few hours ago, and i'm not sure if it was the fact that i've spent the past four days in new york, the four hours of sleep i got each night, or the fact that i absolutely adore your family, but when i got your and rachel's cards i started crying. thank you so much! they really did make my day! let rachel know that she should be expecting a note in return soon:) give your family my love. i miss them all. katie