Friday, May 16, 2008

Overheard

Zekers: Rachel, you know what I was thinking?

Rachel: No.

Zekers: Well, I was just thinking that 4 babies is enough. We don't need to bring home any more.

Rachel: Oh, you can never have too many babies.

Zekers (emphatically): Yes, you can.

Rachel (sagaciously): Zeke, God's the one who decides how many babies to give us. And Mom just keeps havin' 'em.

Zekers: Well, I think God likes our family the way it is!

(At this point the conversation was interrupted when one of the kiddos saw Karis trying to feed Malachi a piece of lint off the floor - as if he needed any encouragement!)

-------------------------------------------------

A Couple of "Beef-isms"

For whatever reason, I have never succeeded in getting Zekers to say the words today, yesterday, or tomorrow. Instead, it's always been, "this day", "the day before this day", and "the next day after this day."

My son is in love with flip-flops. I just bought Zekers a pair of white/black/gray camouflage flip-flops from Old Navy for $2.50. I guess flip-flops must be the 4-yr-old equivalent of a Corvette. He goes on and on about them, and wears them every chance he gets. He was devastated last Sunday because I wouldn't let him wear them to church.

Danny has been really good about setting an example for the kids of thanking me for dinner sometimes (except when I make tofu pancakes). As a result, lately Zekers has thanked me at least once every day for a meal I've fixed. My standard response (after hearing an excellent message by John Piper) has been, "It was my pleasure." To which Zekers responds back, "And it was my pleasure to eat it!"

Ever since he started talking, Zekers has always enunciated very well and used almost perfect grammar. It still cracks me up, though, to hear him say things like, "I want a cookie so badly, Mom". He also can't hold in his feelings to save his life, and is constantly saying things like, "I don't like you when you spank me", or "Mom, I'm really sad right now because Rachel won't share with me." But he makes up for all of it with an occasional, unsolicited "I love you, Mom."

The very best thing at bedtime is to get "nudder kiss" and "nudder hug" from Zekers. He hugs me tightly, and then pulls me down again for a "nudder hug". Even better is when he takes my face in both hands and does the European thing, kissing one cheek and then turning my head for a "nudder kiss' on the other cheek. What a sweet little guy.

I just wanted to write all this down so I'll never forget it. . . I love you, Mr. Beef!

12 comments:

marissa finch said...

ok now the "nudder" thing makes sense to me...when you told him to give me a kiss nudder kiss i just thought it was a silly name you gave his kisses...now im assuming "nudder" is "another" ?? or am i still just as lost as i was before

marissa finch said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

it is so good to write these things down. you could probably fill another 5 scrapbooks with the photos and events you've documented here on blogger. several times in the years my kids have been in school they've had to do a project or write a paper/speech about events in their childhoods. i just pulled out the journals and handed them over. marissa always thought she was the "boring" child until she read hers.

unfortunately, i've been neglecting the journals for quite some time - really, ever since i went back to full-time teaching.

Chris said...

Zekers does love his flllliiippp flllloooppps, especially the blllaaccckkk ones.

Margaret said...

awwwww...how sweet. "nudder kiss"- i love it. almost makes me wish my kids were little again...almost!

~~anna~~ said...

I agree with dee. You think you'll remember each one of those little *gems* each child utters, but believe me you won't.

Anonymous said...

Your kids are hilarious, Charity. It was my pleasure to read all about your family. :)

Sarah

shoemama said...

Your kids crack me up. I can't wait until Luke starts talking to see what my kiddos talk about. The first part of the blog was sooooo funny! I can see Rachel and Zeke talking like that. So, according to Zeke, no more babies? What does mommy and daddy think?

Charity said...

I think I've been pregnant or lactating for the past 6.5 years, and I'm ready for a break!

brother_barabbas said...

naw, just 'keep havin' em'! They're great, so more is more great isn't it?

Charity said...

Right back at 'cha! :-)

Anonymous said...

Charity, I remember when Faith found out that Janet was pregnant with Mark, she cried...a lot!!! Maybe that's what Zeke would do! mm