Sunday, July 13, 2008

Across the Miles: Millennium Park

We left Camp Forest Springs after breakfast on Saturday morning and headed back into Chicago. Since Wisconsin is known for its cheese production, we saw numerous billboards and signs to this effect on the trip. A couple in particular really made us laugh. The door to one gas station we stopped at boasted: "Squeaky fresh cheese curds inside". Other signs advertised heavenly places such as "Cheese Dreams" (or "Dreamy Cheeses" - I can't remember which), and "Naughty Novelties and Bakery". (The "and Bakery" was what cracked us up. Was it naughty, too?)

We made much better time on the return trip, and arrived at our hotel by 4:00 PM. The kiddos were excited to discover we would be staying in a room on the 12th floor! This too was an answer to prayer; Danny was able to find a suite for a very reasonable price, so we actually got our own bedroom. There was exactly enough room to put 2 munchkins on the fold-out love seat, set Malachi's pac-n-play up in the corner, and put the love seat cushions together right next to it for the other munchkin. We had to go get extra sheet sets, pillows and towels several times, and they must have thought we were a little nuts, but it worked out great. And how did we take advantage of the benefits of having our own room? We crashed almost as soon as the kiddos went to bed!


For dinner, since I'd packed all of our breakfasts and lunches for the trip, we decided to splurge for one meal and hit the Rainforest Cafe in the Schaumburg mall. We'd been there once before, in San Francisco, about 8 years ago, but it was so much more fun to go with kids. With its aquariums, life-sized jungle animals hanging off the walls and from the ceiling, and simulated thunderstorms, they thought it was the best thing since the invention of the mini-farm.

After dinner, we walked the mall, which has 3 levels and is, I believe, the 2nd largest mall in America (next to the Mall of America). Of course, we had to visit the Disney store for the kiddos, and the Apple store for Danny (the one place he likes to window shop!)

The next morning, we were up and out of the hotel by 8:30, and Danny had a surprise planned: a trip to Millennium Park in Chicago! This was a special treat, since I absolutely love the city, and whenever we travel up to Wisconsin every couple of years, we don't normally have time to go in and enjoy it, mostly because we've always said we wanted to wait until the kids were a little older and could enjoy it more.

It was a wonderful morning. The famous "Taste of Chicago" festival was being set up for the day, and since it was only 9:30 on a Sunday morning, we got to walk around it before all the crowds arrived. And Millennium Park was amazing. We walked to Cloud Gate, a huge aluminum bubble is the only way I can describe it. It was a really hot day, so afterward we headed to Crown Fountain, a large concrete (?) slab with 2 structures made of glass brick on either end. Water cascades down, creating a little pool for kids to play in. On these structures are digital video faces of Chicago residents, and every so often a fountain squirts out of their mouths. I think I must have taken about 6 pictures of these faces, because it was just hilarious.

We found a huge swing made of metal and went past a lot of beautiful gardens, all of which had names I don't remember. We walked around the loop area some more and then headed back to the van.



Cloud Gate


Crown Fountain
Spewing from Crown Fountain
The beginning of Route 66! ("It winds from Chicago to LA")

I feel the need to mention that on this trip, I had some of the worst coffee experiences of my life. On the way up to Wisconsin, I was craving an iced cappucino, so we stopped at McD's since that seemed to be our only option. Danny got me the LARGEST size - I mean, I never even knew a cup this large existed. And it was nasty. I do not recommend McD's cappucinos! But we were thrilled to discover that the hotel we stayed in both on the way up and on the way back through Chicago, had a Starbucks. Our joy turned to a grimace, however, as soon as we tasted our long-awaited beverages. It was nothing but sludge. I even got another the second time we stayed there, thinking "Come on, this is Starbucks - it has to be better than this on a normal day." But no deal - the drinks were just as bad the second time around. I only mention this because, of course, coffee is such an important part of life.

The only other noteworthy experience on the trip back was our time in Gary, IN. We intensely hoped that we wouldn't HAVE any time in this really scary city, but that was not to be. We had just made it out of the Chicago area, when we found we were nearly out of gas, and every one of the kiddos had to use the bathroom (except for Malachi, who went as soon as we got back into the van).

It was like we had entered a sort of twilight zone. The gas station we stopped at had a glass wall between the customers and the cashier, who wouldn't even look up or answer me until I'd asked him for the third time if there was a bathroom. He mumbled a barely audible word that sort of sounded like a "no". A lady in the gas station informed me that there was a "K Market" across the street with a bathroom. We entered, and again, couldn't get anyone to look at us or answer us, until one employee muttered that there was a bathroom in the back of the store. I dragged the 3 kiddos into a back storage room off of another back room, where a table full of people were smoking and glaring at us. I half expected to see someone on their knees with a gun aimed at their head. Needless to say, I encouraged the kiddos to do their business very quickly and we high-tailed it out of there. The whole place smelled of cigarette smoke, alcohol and unwashed bodies.

But, as soon as we were safely back on the highway, the trip flew by. I ended up sitting in the back with the kiddos, who were pretty tired of traveling by that time, and spent a full 30 minutes laughing with Malachi. We made it home around 8:30 that night - our beautiful home!! It's nice to get away for a while, and it's nice to come back home. I'm so grateful for God's provision and for the time we had as a family.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have really enjoyed reading all your posts, charity, AND seeing all the pictures with your kids. do you think they'll remember me by the time i get back???

i can appreciate your "culture shock" in Gary, IN. there is so much petty theft and other crimes against foreigners here in San José that if i see a young man coming toward me with an angry look on his face, i put a determined look on mine and walk past as quickly and purposefully as possible. and we never leave the house after dark, which falls at 6:00 PM. we've had a lot of boring evenings!

Anonymous said...

WOW...after so many days with no blogging, you have out done yourself! Charity, you have made some VERY happy memories with your family! I don't think the kiddos know how blessed they are to have such wonderful parents. And it all proves that you do NOT have to be rich in worldly things to have richness in life...godliness with contentment...ahhhhhh!

By the way, I personally love Speedway iced coffees. I DO doctor them up a big. I also found some good recipes for making my own at home.

I love you, Sweetie! And I am SOOO thankful for Danny! What a wonderful husband you have. And do I need to say anything about those precious babies? Praise God!

mm

Anonymous said...

What a saga! I think you guys have had enough adventure to last a whole year at least! I'm jealous that you were there for Taste of Chicago...I've always wanted to be there for that, and as many times as I've been in that city...haven't managed it yet.

Hey, there's a reason they call Gary "the armpit of the midwest". We used to drive through the industrial section of it on the Skyway, and I always felt that maybe it would be healthier if I held my breath. Thankfully, we have never had to stop there!

Chris said...

Malachi is like having your own little Crown Fountain !!

Anonymous said...

Good one, Chris!! mm

Jessi said...

Great blogs Charity! Thanks for letting us all in on your family time!

~~anna~~ said...

I really enjoyed reading your vacation recaps. Sounds like you had a great time!
But bad Starbucks???? Say it isn't so! I can see bad coffee from McD's...I've never been a fan of theirs, but Starbucks???
Looking forward to Broadway Jo's. We leave the DR in only 9 days!

Charity said...

Hey Anna, Lyndie said something today about you & Bob being back in the US for a while. Looking forward to seeing you!

Anonymous said...

anna - i've never really liked starbucks. i think people keep going there because they think they are SUPPOSED to like their coffee. they ARE starbucks, after all. i greatly prefer Bjoes

shoemama said...

I can't imagine anything good coming of anything in Wisconsin. I'm sorry for people who have to live there. It just reminded me of this when you wrote about all those weird billboard signs and the lack of good coffee. :-)

Anonymous said...

BOSTON STOKERS has some GREAT iced coffees!!!! mm

Margaret said...

it was fun to read of your travels and awesome to see how much you enjoyed your family

interesting about starbucks...i thought i was the ONLY person who didn't like it. most people tend to think there must be something wrong with me, but i still say starbucks doesn't know how to do GOOD strong coffee

danny2 said...

hannah,

while i would agree that uw football is torture to its residents, and brett favre is showing himself to be a bit of a diva, there are some great things in wisconsin...

hofflands
eric & tracy tully

personally, i think naughty novalties and a bakery sounds like a brilliant combination!

also, i must say, after traveling with flm for three years, camp forest springs is without a doubt the best camp i've ever been to. i'm not a camping fan, but if we lived anywhere close to there, we would do the family camp every year.

and of course the best thing about wisconsin, it's not the state to the east of it.

Charity said...

The bad coffee we had was actually in Chicago and Indiana, not Wisconsin. I'm with Dee & Margaret - I realized I prefer Joe's to almost any other coffee place and Starbucks isn't nearly as good as I remember it being when i was in college.

Hannah, the next time you're in town you'll have to use that joe's gift card and tell me if you agree . . .

shoemama said...

Danny2
That is the perfect way to put the drama with brett Favre, a little like a diva.
BTW, you didn't mention Wally in your people from wisconsin section. :-)
CFS does sound like a great camp, and I did not know that Eric Tulley lived there, so Wisconsin does have some redeeming value.
Charity,
you are my hero. I don't know how you do it. I barely made it with 2 kids on a 3 day vacation! You did 4 kids on a 12 day venture. I was wondering if they would get crabby or anything, so I'm glad they got some sleep and made the last couple days good.

lyndie said...

i "lost" my first digital camera in Gary, IN last summer. We had to stop b/c I had to use the bathroom so badly I thought I might vomit. We stopped @ a McD's- decent. BUT- i forgot my purse! I called the restaurant 3 hrs later when I realized this. Some "good" citizen turned the purse in to management, but my camera was not inside- the camera that contained all our pictures from our family vacation to Lake Superior and our stop to vist friends in Chicago on the way home. *sigh* I would not regret never seeing that place again.

great vacation stories and pics. i'm looking forward to our first family trip to chicago. millenium park is so much fun. and, they have a big Guatemalan community! we've been tempted to move there just for that...

Anonymous said...

don't you dare, lyndie!!!

~~anna~~ said...

Can I say I agree with dee, Lyndie?

Jodi Bradshaw said...

Great posts about your vacation! I LOVE Chicago. Hopefully, we will be able to see a little of it when we are on the retreat.

All I got to say is Caribou Coffee! Yum!

Eileen said...

This is wonderful Charity. What precious memories you are making with your family! Thanks much for taking the time to share! Feel as though I've been... to Wisconsin and back in just a few minutes. Enjoyed it! Bless you, Eileen