Monday, August 11, 2008

Poop

I was washing up a few dishes after breakfast this morning, and looked over to see Malachi fussing and fidgeting around in his high chair. Knowing that in about 10 seconds his fussing would turn into yelling, I went over and took him out - and was rewarded by huge smiles. I sort of danced with him into the living room, bouncing him on my hip, as this makes him smile even more, and I am a total sucker for his charms.

So after a few minutes, I sat him down on the living room floor and picked up a rag to wipe off his seat, bib, tray, and everything else he'd touched and left a sloppy mess. But I stopped short at the sight of a greenish pile of goo smeared on the seat of his chair. The second I realized he hadn't had anything remotely resembling this for breakfast, my heart stopped, as the identity of the mysterious began to sink in.

NOOOOooooo! I hollered, sprinting for the living room, where the carpet (which we had cleaned about 2 weeks ago) and the sofa were now sporting the same green smears.

To make a long, disgusting story a little shorter, I'll spare you the details and just say that I carried my little pooper to the bathroom and deposited him directly into the bathtub. It was the only thing to do. In the end, my sweatshirt an pants were covered and I found myself scrubbing poo from his back, legs, feet, arms and even his hair. I don't believe we've had a blowout this bad with any of the other kiddos, although they've had their share of doozies.

Anyway, about 45 minutes later, I had everything cleaned up and a load of laundry going, and was finally able to see the comedy of the situation. And I will say that for once, I had no desire to capture this moment with my camera.

I guess when it rains, it pours. Karis came up to Danny and me at our LIFE group cookout the other day, saying, "I had diarrhea in my panties." Sure enough . . . . she claimed she didn't feel it coming. Since she's been potty trained for over a year, I don't carry around extra clothes for her anymore. So, she had to be content wearing one of Malachi's diapers, which, interestingly, was a perfect fit.

It actually made me chuckle a little this morning, to think that this is part of my calling . . . for now! I guess one thing that can be said for this job is that it keeps you guessing - I never know what's going to happen next!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

my sides hurt from laughing, charity! your kids give you such good material for your posts! it's a good thing malachi was making you dance, play and smile just before you found out what was in store for you. i bet it would have taken much longer to find the humor in it if you'd had a really bad morning to begin with...

Anonymous said...

It seems Grandpa Dan's brown goo story yesterday was heard by Malachi and sounded like fun!

You are now an official "Super Dooper Pooper Scooper!" mm

Chris said...

Poop happens.........

Kati said...

You don't need a dog, Charity.

JanAl said...

Charity,
Your lucky you were at home. I'm not sure if it was Elijah or Priscilla, but when they were a little over a year old, we were at W-mart, (huge shopping trip, top and bottom was completely full). They were sitting in the child basket, I get to the register, start to unload, as I am pulling out groceries, I notice a nasty liquid on items as I am pulling them out. Then I realize, it was the overflow from thier backside. The worst part was that it made it thru the top basket, and around the bottom basket. I had to use a spray infectant and paper towels to wipe the items off, before I placed them on the belt. It also was a freezing cold winter day. Wanting to get out quickly, I decided to wipe the child off in the van, the poor kid was frozen because I had no clean clothes to put back on them . I SURE HOPE THEY DISINFECTED THAT REGISTER! Memories of it makes my stomach turn! JL

Margaret said...

I think it's a good thing you didn't take pics this time! :)

Anonymous said...

AMEN!!!!!!!!!
mom

Jessi said...

charity, i laughed when i read that you decided NOT to take a picture! (good thinking) I was wondering when i started to read if you had something visual up ahead. :) Afterall, i think you get the award for taking so many pictures, and they are all so creative and cute!