Monday, September 07, 2009

Best of GDCF 2009

I've tried to figure out what it is that brings us back, year after year, to the Great Darke County Fair. Is it the crowds? The dust & dirt? The noise? The colorfully-worded T-shirts? The greasy food? Walking until our legs are numb?

After our 8th fair week (can't believe we've lived here that long!!), I still can't really answer that question. All I can say is, we look forward to this week all summer, especially the kiddos! Their absolute favorite thing to do - and what kept us coming back every day but one - was visiting the animals. I believe we may have spent more money on animal food than on funnel cakes. As for Danny and me, like most everyone else attending, it's the sense of community: running into dozens of people you know; catching up with friends you haven't seen in a while; taking some time off from the normal routine and doing something a little different.

In any case, it's always an adventure! (and I still think deep-fried twinkies sound absolutely revolting)

My sister Hannah, her 2 kiddos, and my mom came up one day so the kids could all do rides together. This has become a yearly tradition for us.


In 4 years, we have yet to take a picture where our kids actually appear to be enjoying themselves on the ferris wheel!


One evening, we met a very nice girl who told the kiddos all about her horse, and even let them pet him.


The absolute favorite place was a tent that housed many unusual animals, including pot-belly pigs, emus, and angora goats. Every day, we bought a cup of feed which the kiddos divided among themselves to give to the animals.


Thanks to some friends, Rachel was able to go inside a pen and spend some quality time with several pigs.


Farmer Zeke


The next best thing to Clifford


For the first time, Rachel and Zekers sat in a seat by themselves on the BIG ferris wheel. There were a lot of tears at first, but by the end I think they really liked it. (I couldn't go with them, since I rode in a seat with Karis, and Danny stayed down below with Mr. Moo.)


Mr. Moo LOVED the bumper cars! He went several times with both Danny and me.


After driving his own car one time, Zekers got off and announced, "I'm never driving again!" I'm documenting this so I can remind him of it about 10 years from now.

8 comments:

Chris said...

Janie said the big talk was the booth with the 800 count sheets for $20.00. Did you see them? I would have been hanging out there.....petting the sheets. Cleaner and fresher smelling than the pigs, goats and Malachi.

Charity said...

LOL - if it didn't involve food or animals, we didn't go near it (or know anything about it)!

Anonymous said...

By next year Zekers will change his mind about driving!

Sue House

Kati said...

My kids would be jealous to know what your kids got away with. Erin was not allowed to drive the bumper cars-they said she was too short. Also, Isaac and Erin were not allowed to ride the BIG ferris wheel without an adult. huh???? I guess it must depend on the day????

Anonymous said...

I agree with you on the deep fried twinkies! I've even heard of deep fried butter!! Makes me gag even thinking about that one!

April Mendenhall

marilyn66 said...

As a math teacher, I've always taught that 2 negatives multiply to make a positive. Therefore "Twinkie" times "Deep-fried" = a positive!

Charity said...

Sue - I agree! His legs & arms were just a little too short this year.

Kati - it totally depends on whoever is running the ride. A couple of "carnies" made me fork over tickets for myself in order to ride with the kids, but most didn't. Some of them let the kids on in the afternoon, but not in the evening, and vice versa. It's sooooo inconsistent. It would have been much better for Zekers if they hadn't let him drive! That's kind of a head-scratcher, though, that they wouldn't let Isaac & Erin ride the ferris wheel. I think some of them are just in a generally bad mood.

Mom & April - the worst I've seen is "deep fried dough balls." ugh. And yes, that's a positive - it makes me positively ILL even to think about it!

Anonymous said...

Ty swore by the deep-fried oreos, but i couldn't bring myself to fork over the money just to see if he was right. i stick with what's safe - elephant ears, funnel cakes, kettle corn and fiske fries. oh, and ice cream if it's warm enough outside!

but two days are still plenty for me :) and yes, i eat most of that in two days!