Friday, September 11, 2009

My Girls


It's hard to believe Rachel is 7 and Karis is 4. As per our yearly tradition, we looked through their scrapbooks, relived the days surrounding their birth and enjoyed once again seeing the many ways they grew - especially the first year. In my personal opinion, each "stage" of their lives has been better, and more fun, than the one before.

So, here are a few ways I've enjoyed watching them grow in the past year:









Rachel

1. She's grown in her love of reading. In Kindergarten, it was a daily struggle to get her to read ANYTHING. Now, she gets up early, runs out to the living room, and simply devours books. Her current favorites are the Boxcar Children and Magic Tree House book series. She reminds me a lot of myself at her age; although I'm hoping she won't need glasses as young as I did!

2. She's grown in her capacity to think critically. It's crazy the questions a 6-7 year old can come up with, and quite honestly, she's stumped me a few times. She asked me several months ago, "If God created everything, does that mean He created sin?" That's when I so cleverly reply, "Go ask your father!" But seriously, we've had some great conversations lately on a plethora of topics. It's wonderful to be able to talk with her on more of an adult level; to see her wrestle with and ask questions about different topics.

3. She's grown in taking initiative. She's started asking to help out more - and actually helping! She offers to do dishes, she makes her bed first thing without being asked, she helps out a LOT with Malachi (and often smothers him almost to death), and she reads to the younger two. It's just the coolest thing to see her growing up and thinking of others.














Kari Bou

1. She's grown in stubbornness. I know this seems like a negative - and trust me, it has been at many times! Honestly, this has been a very rough year for her (and for Danny and me!); but I love that she has a mind of her own, and if by God's grace we can continue to be consistent to "train in godliness", this very quality which has given us such headaches will become a huge asset to her in the future.

2. She's grown in sweetness. As stubborn as she can be, she more than makes up for it with hugs, kisses and snuggles. And she's a born nurturer. All day long, she carries around one or two baby dolls, dresses and undresses them, changes their diapers, puts them to bed, breastfeeds and burps them, and gives me instructions on how to care for them when she's "out." It's too cute.




3. She's grown in her comprehension of sin. If there's one truly positive thing that's come from disciplining her this year, it's that struggling over the same issues nearly every day has shown her a need for Christ. It started out as a way to avoid consequences. Her responses went from "But Mom, I'm just a kid - I can't be good ALL the time", to "Mom, even when I try as hard as I can, I do bad things." She's very aware - more than the others were at this age - that she's a sinner who needs Jesus' help to do the right things. Through some heartbreaking episodes, God has opened the door for both Danny and me to have some really cool conversations with her.

I love you girls so much, and I pray often that you will grow every day in your knowledge of, and love for, Christ. I can't wait to see what this year holds for each of you . . .

6 comments:

Chris said...

:0) :0) :0) :0)

I hope they never get too old to give those wonderful hugs ( I am sure your mom feels the same way)

Love you both! XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

Anonymous said...

wonderful tributes to your little women!

JanAl said...

LOVED THE PICTURES!!!
THEY ARE SOOO CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Loved the cake and the look on Karis's face! She looked so excited! Beautiful girls!

April Mendenhall

lyndie said...

karis'1 & 2 reminds me so much of our "bean". but 3 reminds of what our future holds- and indeed, has already brought. *sigh* if only it could be simpler. but, with hope, it will be good in the end.

marilyn66 said...

I DO, Chris, I love them ALL dearly. And just when you think you cannot love anymore, another comes along...and you love even more!!!

And Chris, I am sure that we are both supporting all of these wonderful little munchkins with lots of prayer as well as the hugs and kisses!