Sunday, May 09, 2010

. . . And Another One

It finally arrived: the day Rachel has looked forward to for over a year, with breathless anticipation.

We got up early and drove to Kenneth's in Columbus, so Rachel could have 10 inches of hair chopped off and donated to Locks of Love. Ever since a friend from church donated her locks last year, Rach has had her heart set on this. We knew of a hair salon in Columbus that gives free haircuts to anyone wishing to donate their hair, and since my grandma lives in Columbus, and my Aunt Marcia had flown in from France for 2 weeks and is staying with her, and we have long-time friends who live there, we decided to make a day of it - beginning with the haircut.

Waiting . . .


She didn't appear to be the least bit traumatized by having her 2 long ponytails chopped off.


It was looking really cute and curly, but her stylist said it would be easier to make sure everything was even if she straightened it. You'd have thought I'd just told Rach she could have a candy-themed sleepover. She was that excited.


Transformed . . . after about half a dozen different gels and 20 minutes of styling. I've told her not to expect to look like this every day! What I'm still trying to make sense of is how I saved $20 on the haircut, but managed to spend way more than that on a flat iron and several bottles of product that the stylist convinced me we just can't live without. At least the flat iron was 20% off and came with a lifetime warranty!


We spent a lovely lunch/afternoon with Grandma & Aunt Marcia.


Then we spent a lovely dinner / evening with Dave & Johanna & their munchkins. We got to talking about a trip we took with them and 3 other couples in the pre-kids era. Back then, there were 10 of us, and we took a week-long trip to Sedona, AZ. Now, after adding 14 children to the mix, there are 24 of us, and I guarantee that IF we ever take another trip, it will be somewhere local, with playgrounds and fast food. It's amazing how things can change in 8.5 years.

But of course, I wouldn't trade our munchkins for 20 Sedona-like trips. I'm so incredibly thankful for our four kiddos, and for Danny. Today is the perfect reminder of the gift that they are.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!!

4 comments:

marilyn66 said...

RACHEL!!!! That is ADORABLE!!! I LOVE it! Hope you are getting used to it by now! And I hope some little girl is VERY blessed by your donation!

Anonymous said...

I had to look twice at her in church yesterday to make sure I was seeing right. It looks great on her! And, it feels good to donate to Locks of Love, too.

April Mendenhall

Sue's Thoughts said...

Charity, Sara encouraged me to start a blog, it will not be as interesting as yours and Sara's, I don't have the cute kids stries that you all do. But I thought I would give it a shot.Here is the link.

http://sueswanderingthoughts.blogspot.com/

Sue's Thoughts said...

I can't even spell stories correctly! not off to a good start!