Thursday, March 30, 2006

Humility: True Greatness


I sit here in the still warmth of the afternoon (oh, blessed spring!), contemplating a book I just finished reading for the second time; a book that, more than any other in my life, has left me standing at a spiritual crossroads, knowing which road to take but struggling over that first tentative step.

If you don't want to be convicted, don't read this book!! I've always known of the pride in my life, but I never lost any sleep over it - until God began revealing to me, through Scripture and C.J. Mahaney's words, the all-pervasive nature of my pride, and His total abhorrance of it.

Let me first mention that Mahaney describes himself as "a proud man pursuing humility by the grace of God." His words, while full of truth, exhibit a gentleness and grace that can only come from one truly seeking humility.

Mahaney defines pride as "contending for supremacy with God." Pride is the root of all sin, and has only one end: self-glorification. He contrasts cultural greatness with biblical greatness (serving others for the glory of God), emphasizing that true greatness is attainable only through Christ's sacrificial death. And lest we think too highly of our own abilities, he reminds us that Christ died as a "ransom for sinners" - a ransom being the price paid for a slave, prisoner of war, or condemned criminal. We lack the ability even to rid ourselves of pride and selfish ambition; this requires divine rescue!

Mahaney doesn't leave humility in the theoretical realm, but offers over 30 pages of concrete ways to purposefully pursue humility on a daily basis; at the beginning and end of each day, as well as throughout the day.

Of particular poignancy for me were his thoughts on pride as it relates to anxiety - that a truly humble person is care free, not bound up by the pressure of trying to be self-sufficient. I must daily cast my cares on Christ and in so doing, humble myself. He also suggests playing a lot of golf and learning to laugh at yourself!

He admonishes us to identify "evidences of grace" in others (fellow believers, family members, etc.), and adresses the issue of correcting / admonishing in humility. We are to guard each other spiritually! A truly humble person sets aside self-interest and speaks words that will save a brother in Christ from the deceitfulness of sin and its hardening effects. Bottom line: "The biblical purpose for every conversation you have, in every personal interaction, is that the person will receive grace." Ouch. Definitely room for improvement there . . .

The last two chapters, which address humility in the midst of hardship, and leaving a legacy of humility for your children, are both insightful and powerful.

What makes these pages stand out from others I've read is that they are intensely convicting. Since the first time I read through them, I am repeatedly reminded of the foothold pride - selfish ambition - has in my attitudes, words and actions. I know what I need to do and yet I don't want to do it!! I need to give God the first moments of my day, which will require rising earlier. And I need to find several people with whom I can be honest about sin issues I battle daily. These things are absolutely necessary for spiritual growth, even though they are certainly contrary to my natural bent.

So - READ THIS BOOK!! (unless you have "itching ears")

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please let your readers know when you have accomplished those two steps. Conviction is no substitute for obedience.

Charity said...

Rev, you are so right. And I have to say, the time change this weekend just made step #1 about 100 times more difficult! I doubt I will ever feel I have fully "accomplished" either one, but by God's grace, I will faithfully pursue both for the rest of my life.