Tuesday, May 09, 2006

"Captivating": The Bottom Line

This is the conclusion of a series of reviews on John & Stasi Eldredge's book "Captivating." To start at the introduction, click here.


What did I like about this book?

As I stated earlier, I appreciated Stasi's gentleness and transparency about struggles she has faced and continues to face. I also appreciated what the authors had to say about women finding value in who they are instead of what they do (although I felt the baby was thrown out with the bathwater a few times on this one). I agreed wholeheartedly with the Eldredges' assertion that we must stop insisting that others fill us and begin looking to Christ. It has helped to know that women universally have some of the same yearnings and insecurities (I'm not the only nut job!). There were nuggets of truth to be found on relationships, beauty, healing and other topics.


What did I find distracting about the book?

I think some may enjoy the dozens of movie references throughout the book; however, I found so many to be a bit distracting. I love movies and music, but I don't know that they constitute solid backing for life principles. For example, Cinderella in no way gives credibility to the story of the virgin birth.

Also, the Eldredges use several words - such as "seduce", "arousal", "beauty" - claiming they mean one thing but obviously going another route. It's difficult to explain unless you read it yourself.


Do I recommend this book?

Overall it lacked depth. It missed the boat on several issues. Although they sprinkle the name of Christ throughout all 12 chapters, it is all in the context of what He can do for ME. It is a "me-centered" book. Therefore, its message is fundamentally anti-Biblical. If you're looking for a theraputic book on how to feel better about yourself, this one fits the bill. However, if you're looking to be challenged and stretched by applicable truth from God's Word, no way! As much as I would love to give a good recommendation, I have to say that generally, Captivating failed to live up to its name.

(Please understand that I read through this book once and liked it! Not until I began re-reading sections in order to write a review did all the subtle inconsistencies and faulty theology begin to surface. My intention was not to bash the Eldredges as people. I believe their message is well-intentioned but misguided. If you disagree with anything I've written, please feel free to comment or email me and I'd be happy to discuss it with you.)

1 comment:

danny2 said...

thank you again for you fair, honest and gracious review of the book.

i'm proud of you!