Thursday, May 11, 2006

The Meaning of Dead-ication

Today at Kroger the kids & I were talking about Sunday, when all the grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins will be coming to church with us and staying for lunch afterward. After a while, Rachel became curious as to why they are all coming if it isn't anyone's birthday (she was extremely disappointed upon learning that it wasn't hers). I explained that we're having Karis dedicated.

Immediate tears resulted. I thought maybe she had bitten her tongue (again), but when I asked why she was crying, she replied, "Mommy, I want Karis to be alive."

I quickly explained to her that dedication means something completely different than DEAD. I told her soothingly that it just means we're giving her back to Jesus.

More tears. "But I want Karis to stay with ME!"

At this point I ran out of words. How do you expain baby dedication to a 3-yr-old who takes everything literally? We finally came to the conclusion that dedication means telling everyone at church that God gave us Karis, trusting Him with her life, and promising to do everything we can to help her love Jesus.

I'm dreading the day she asks about circumcision.

4 comments:

danny2 said...

now if we can only get zeke to wish kari stay alive.

Charity said...

Oh, he wishes her to stay alive - but he prefers her with scratches and bruises all over her face!

Katie, they love you too!

marissa finch said...

i love your kids too because rach is mean to zeke but he cant fight back yet so he takes it out on kari who is desperately loved by her big sister who, when anything happens to kari, blames it on zeke and then decides to punish him.....and the cycle begins again:)

Charity said...

I'd say that's a pretty accurate assessment, Marissa! I think Rach is excited about having kids of her own simply because she can't wait to punish them all.