Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Sigh of Relief

Rachel and I went to the doctor yesterday to get her kindergarten shots . . . and I'm not sure who was most dreading the encounter.

Several months back, I had to hold Rach down, kicking and screaming, at the prospect of a simple finger stick. So you can imagine my agitation at the thought of her receiving 3 actual shots. But, she had lunch at McD's afterward to look forward to, and then a trip to Dippin' Dots. And she knew she'd receive a sticker and maybe even get Tweetie bandaids. Really, does it get any better than that?

It actually went much more smoothly than I thought. There were lots of tears - sheesh, it's so much more difficult now that she knows what's coming than when she was just a baby! But she got to sit in my lap, and I tried to make a joke out of the whole thing by telling her they were injecting her with mushroom juice (she absolutely hates mushrooms, as she should). It at least made her laugh a little - until she saw the needle coming at her.

But hey - she's all the way up to the 55th percentile for height, and the 35th for weight. Time was, I rejoiced that her weight was even on the chart (barely)! In several years, she'll be the only second grader still not heavy enough for a booster car seat, but the doctor pronounced her in excellent health.

Best of all, she got to wear a little paper gown while she waited for the doctor to see her. And got a Tinkerbell sticker. And the hoped-for Tweetie bandaids.

And now, we're officially on our way to kindergarten!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

gee, will you take me to the doctor next time I have to get a shot???

with those kinds of rewards, she might start ASKING for them :)

Anonymous said...

I think I got stuck with the wrong parents! Kindergarten shots and then home for a bologna sandwich!
Sigh...mm

(Actually, I think we went to the principals office and lined up and got our shots. That was HAVING to put on a brave face in front of all our friends! I seem to remember that the needle was 3 feet long.)

Anonymous said...

Rachel is so cute~

Anonymous said...

Charity, do you take your camera everywhere with you? How do you do that...and how do you keep it in batteries?? I need some tips!

Chris said...

I think you keep having kids because Dr. Rahe is so sweet (not to mention cute) and that's the only way you can see him on a regular basis.

Oh yes, and the fact that he saved Zekers life doesn't hurt.

Charity said...

Tarah - I know - I'm way too in love with photos! I carry my camera in my purse so I have it with me whenever a photo op presents itself. And I use rechargable batteries, which i end up recharging at least once a week! A pain, but at least not as pricey as buying new batteries all the time.

Ma - I think Rachel's the one with the crush on Dr. Rahe. she asked me if she could give him a hug and a kiss when she saw him! It was really sweet.

Anonymous said...

Rachel gives me hope that someday Esther will be back on the percentile chart for weight. (i think she's up to negative 5 % on the chart right now). And she will definitely be in a car seat forever!!
Hannah