Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Why I Haven't Written Much Lately







This pretty much sums it up! I'm hoping that soon little Kai (what I like to call him) will learn to eat in less than an hour. I'm all for breastfeeding, but with three other munchkins tugging at me, I don't know how much longer I can keep this up. At nighttime feedings, he eats for an hour and then hiccups for about half an hour. So sad . . .

I know it's not a good idea to use the TV as a babysitter, but today, I had about enough steam to flip on Barney before I crashed on the sofa for a 15-minute nap after lunch. I was awakened by Karis chucking legos at my head.











This weekend Danny married a young couple from our church - the last wedding of 6 he's done this year. It was a really beautiful outdoor ceremony at a park 45 minutes from here. Rachel and Kai went with us, and Zekers and Kari Bou went to a scarecrow convention at a different park with Grandma Miller. I don't know whether I should be concerned that my son was more excited about the mermaid scarecrow than about any of the others!

Sunday, we had a semi-surprise visit from my grandma and aunt who live over 3 hours away, and whom I haven't seen in 1 1/2 years. Grandma called Thursday to say they'd be here Sunday afternoon, and sure enough, when I got home from church, they were here waiting for us - with more homemade applesauce than I've ever seen in my life. They filled both our freezers with it, and stayed for most of the afternoon. The kiddos were particularly excited about the M&Ms and cheese puffs they brought with them.

And it's time for another feeding. . .

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Honey, I don't know if any of the others have any advice on the nursing but I'd like to throw in my 2 cents and see what others share too.

I know you are a bit anxious due to your experience with Rachel. However, Malachi is now well established in nursing (which Rachel was not) and has proven that he is able to get enough. It seems to me that you could now do what you tried from the beginning with Rachel, and my pediatrician finally had me do with you when I was nursing so long with you. Would you feel comfortable letting him nurse for 20 minutes MAX and then let him go ahead and cry it out till the next feeding? And do that several times and he should get in there and get it faster...you sure did. You were fussy for just a day or two and man, did you change your feeding speed AND, I might add, became a much happier baby!.

Any one else have any thoughts? With 3 on the loose while you are feeding him, THAT is a challenge. mom

danny2 said...

i think the problem is that you refuse to call him "meat biscuit."

i can think of no greater motivator!

Anonymous said...

He's a boob man. That must be it!

Sarah

Eileen said...

Charity,
What a precious picture of your little feller! Oh he looks so alert and already *with the program.*

Say, how 'bout some entertainment for a couple minutes. There's a YouTube video called MomSong that is just simply a must-see for a Mom. Have you seen it?

See, I don't know how to insert that in a blog, but here's the address where I found it:
*Bright days for you and me* (http://brightdays.wordpress.com) and it's posted under *Fun for all moms - the joys of childhood.* I predict that you'll laugh and howl just watching it.

Wishing all the best for you and your wee little ones. Wish I had ideas for nursing a baby...you're already miles ahead of me on that one. But I do know a thing or two about raising a canary!(feel free to ask) =)

EE (http://russiawithlove.blogspot.com)

Anonymous said...

I've always felt nursing time is God's way of making sure we do take the time to enjoy those little buggers. With Anna and Leah, I think that was the ONLY attention they got the first year! (and I know it's alot early on) Eventually the other ones realize that mom just can't do anything for them while nursing and they stop trying. However, 1 hr does seem like an awful lot! I don't remember a nursing session ever going longer than 45 minutes even at the beginning. I think I aimed for 20 minutes per side in those first few weeks until I felt they were really getting the hang of things. Then....30 minutes total til they were bigger and really chugging it down quick. ;)

Anonymous said...

That You Tube song was pretty funny Eileen. Thanks for finding it! mm

Anonymous said...

By the way, the expression on Malachi's face is probably in response to being called "Meat Biscuit!" No wonder he's been so fussy!!!!! Children live up to their names!!! mm

Chris said...

I have faith you know what is the best for your whole family. Just keep us A-BREAST of the situation.

Anonymous said...

I agree with ma Wright. Sometimes you just have to "milk" a subject for all its worth!

Sarah

Eileen said...

The whole conversation is... udderly hilarious. ;) EE

~~anna~~ said...

I was finally able to post on my own blog! crazy Dominican airwaves... :) feel free to visit!

Charity said...

Wow . . . I don't think many people out there can say their breasts have been the subject of so many puns. It's so humbling.

Chris said...

Just think of us all as your BOSOM BUDDIES !!!!!!!!!