Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Lousy Motherhood 101

It's been an interesting couple of days.

Yesterday (a Monday, of course) began with Kari Bou pushing Zekers down the stairs, resulting in a large knot on the back of his head and a chipped front tooth. Now, if anyone knows how to milk an injury, it's Zekers. Generally, when he so much as coughs, he is convinced he's deathly ill and needs to lay around taking medicine all day.

So, tender and compassionate mother that I am, I tended to him for a while, and then pretty much told him to suck it up and get on with his day.

As the day wore on, he continued to whine and cry and say he felt sick. He took over an hour to eat half a grilled cheese sandwich and laid around on the couch acting pathetic. I just assumed he was pulling his usual stunts, made him finish his lunch and scolded him for overdramatization of his earlier injuries.

When he woke up from his nap (the fact that he actually slept should have clued me in), he felt warm so I finally took his temp. It was 102.2, and climbed to 102.8 by evening. By then he was nearly comatose and I felt like pond scum.

So this morning, Rach must have asked a dozen times to have her temp taken. Since she seemed fine, and also has a penchant for being a drama queen, I figured she just couldn't handle her brother getting more attention than she was getting. Around lunch time, I caved, thinking it would at least help me to know what her normal temp is.

You guessed it - she has a fever now, too. Oops.

As for Kari Bou, she is healthy as a horse (except for an occasional cough), and continues to beat on the others, in spite of numerous spankings. I have a feeling most parents would agree with me that days full of spankings are just lousy . . . necessary but lousy.

The way things are going, in several hours I will probably discover that Kari Bou has a fever as well. All that's left to do now is to almost leave Malachi at church the next time we take the kids to AWANA. Oh, wait, I just did that . . .

6 comments:

Chris said...

Been there, done that. It is part of being a mom. GUILT!

shoemama said...

days with lots of spankings are so lousy! you are totally right. Esther had one of her best days yesterday, I only had to spank her once and make her sit in her time out chair once, and that just made for a wonderful day! Whey can't they always be like that?
Don't worry about not knowing they had fevers, a fever won't kill em, it'll only make them tougher. well, unless it's 105 or something :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm with Chris and Hannah! I didn't do it all right either but you do the best you can with the knowledge you have. God is the only perfect parent! Besides, kids are forgiving (you've forgiven me for my faux pas, haven't you?....????) mm

Anonymous said...

true - God is the only perfect parent.....and look at us :p

still, that was really horrible, charity.

just kidding.

maybe you need to have coffee with another lousy mom whose balance also tips in favor of the "suck it up" side rather than with the compassionate side. yep, that'd be me. but then, perhaps it wouldn't be all that helpful....

Anonymous said...

Don't feel too bad, Charity. I think I am the queen of suck-it-up moms. Just today I was faced with the dilemma of how to get eyedrops into the eyes of my screaming, scared-to-death 3-yr-old. (You'd have thought I was trying to put soap in his eyes or something!) I did try to reason with him for a little while--maybe 30 seconds. Then decided it is much quicker to just use force. I sat on him, arms and all, and, with all of my might, was able to pry those little eyes open and get a couple drops in. Such is the life of a no-mercy mom!! (Although I pray God gives me mercy enough to not damage them all permanently!)

Kati

Charity said...

i'm glad there are other "suck-it-up" moms out there! :-)

dee, i'd love to go for coffee sometime soon. It's been way too long . . .