Saturday, April 26, 2008

Spine and Ribs

This post is the result of a thought-provoking discussion our small group had on Thursday, the last session of our Bible study on the Psalms of ascent.

On Day 3 of Session #6, we looked at Psalm 133. How good and pleasant it is when brothers can live together! . . . . (vs.1) The lesson for this day was devoted to unity among brothers & sisters in Christ.

Beth Moore lays out what she calls "spine issues" and "rib issues". Spine issues comprise the backbone of our faith. . . . disagreement may mean one of us in in Christ and the other is not.. . .Rib issues tend to be more interpretive and less heretical. ( "Stepping Up", p.159)

One assignment was to label issues that fit these 2 categories. She then gave several examples, listing under "Spine Issues" Jesus is the only way, truth and life, and no one gets to God any other way, and under "Rib Issues" spiritual gifts, stands on the end times, and styles of worship.

We were trucking along, listing various and sundry "spine" examples, when someone mentioned baptism and communion. We discussed these at length, finally deciding they belonged in the "rib" category, because neither is necessary for salvation, which comes through grace alone - not from any work of ours, including baptism.

While I know this to be true, something just didn't sit right with me as I mulled this over in my mind, both for the remainder of the small-group discussion and throughout the day. (I should mention that I'm not the most quick-witted person, so often I have to sit and digest for a while before the answer finally hits. I can't tell you how often I think of a perfect comeback to something that was said to me during the day, at around 11:30 PM when I'm about to go to sleep. But I digress . . . )

Anyway, it occurred to me that baptism, communion and many other such issues really don't fit either category. They are not just a matter of preference or interpretation, like worship styles or stands on the end times. They are clear commands of Christ - like making disciples, worshiping God, etc. She needed to add at least one more category for issues that aren't quite as central as the bodily death and resurrection of Christ, but are biblical mandates not open for interpretation. One could also argue, though, that once a person is part of the family of Christ, obedience to these other things will naturally follow. (Mt. 7:16-23)

Come to think of it, there is a big difference between matters of preference (i.e., worship styles and formality of dress) and matters of interpretation (mode of baptism, spiritual gifts, stands on the end times). These really don't belong in the same category either.

While I feel this illustration falls short, the point of Psalm 133 does not: we are to love our brothers/sisters (I John 4:7-12) and live in unity. I believe this means that when someone disagrees with the salvation message, we don't hesitate to gently share with them the truth of Scripture and the heart of the gospel. When it's a preference issue, we can discuss things, and agree to disagree while still enjoying fellowship together. When it falls under any category in between, we are to encourage each other to do as Christ clearly commands and follow the promptings of the Holy Spirit. But no matter what, we need to have the humility to look for evidences of grace in each other, approaching conversations and relationships with an attitude of love, realizing that we are all unified by the blood of Christ.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe they kind of fall under the rib issue as far as method goes. yes, we need to be obedient by being baptized and taking communion together, but the how or the how often is open to interpretation....???

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your thoughts...and how they led to your conclusion, which I think is right on! Thanks for letting us in on your "processing". :)

Charity said...

Dee, I agree that most methodology would fall under the rib category. However, if someone said to you that they don't feel it matters whether or not a believer is baptized; or that it's really not necessary to forgive a brother/sister for an offense; or that stealing is ok depending on the situation . . . would you say this was more than just a matter of preference or interpretation (BM's definition of a rib issue)?

As a matter of fact, I would go so far as to say you could put "Obeying Christ's Commands" in the spine column. I Jn. 4:20 says that anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has seen. I Jn. 5:2-3 goes on to say that this is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out His commands. This is love for God: to obey His commands. ..

So if disagreement on spine issues, according to her definition, may mean one of us is in Christ and the other is not, then I believe you can put "Obeying Christ's Commands" in the spine column!

Thanks for your comment, Dee! I love being forced to think things through. (and I welcome any other thoughts on this issue)

Anonymous said...

i absolutely and completely agree with all that you said, charity :) i was trying to figure out why some thought those two issues fell under the "rib" column, and it was only the methodology that i believed left some doors open.

by the way, does danny get to have one less rib issue than we do? :p

Anonymous said...

Would you say that baptism and communion are SPINE issues but the mode of those, ie 3 times forward or one time backwards or 3 fold communion vs the bread and the cup only, are RIB issues? mm

Kati said...

The only problem with hearing about what others are learning in their studies is it makes me feel like I'm missing out!!! (can't do everything, Kati!) Thanks for sharing some of what you've learned, Charity. It just reminded me of the baptism service last week. Several congregations coming together--conjoined in the SPINE--respecting each others RIBS. Maybe I didn't say that quite right but I think you know what I mean.

Anonymous said...

Does spiritual maturity factor in to this at all? See I view some of the things you mentioned, Charity, as maturity issues rather than saving faith issues.

I think Beth's point is illustrated by what she did in the Daniel study sessions. She invited a wide variety of church groups to sit onstage with her. (and to be honest, something in me wrestled with it a little...but I'm not sure at all that it was right for me to struggle) She was saying that we can have some unity with those who accept Jesus Christ as Lord, regardless of differing interpretations, preferences and I would say maturity.

I'm just trying to see how you practically work out putting 'obeying Christ's commands' in the spine column. Of course you would expect someone who is trusting Jesus as Lord to have the desire to obey His commands. But the question of whether they are or not, or how well they are...that seems rather undeterminable. Obviously, none of us are doing perfectly on that count. So should we say that the desire to obey Christ's commands is a spine issue? See, it gets a little sticky to work out. But.....I'm still processing. :)

Charity said...

Tarah - sorry for the confusion; blogging is just an imperfect vehicle for discussion at times!

Of course, as we all mature in Christ we will become better at obeying His commands and each of us is at a different place with this. But I was referring more to a person who doesn't have any desire to obey clear commands set forth in Scripture; such as a person who would refuse to be baptized, or disagree about the need to forgive a brother. These are issues that go beyond interpretation or mere preference. And certainly, none of us is able to keep all of Christ's commands all of the time (Rom. 7!), but someone who is truly in Christ will at least have the desire to do so, as you stated.

I think this was a well-intentioned illustration that just doesn't work. The main thing we need to keep in mind is that, as believers, we are called to love one another, whether we agree with each other or not. The rib/spine thing is just a little too confusing for me - there are too many theological issues that fall in neither category. But I agree with BM's premise that we can still live together in unity even when we disagree.

So . .. illustration aside, it boils down to: Love God, love each other, and take up our cross daily to follow Him.

Good comments!

(MM, your question opens up a whole other discussion! Maybe we can talk about it sometime. ;)