Saturday, June 07, 2008

Waste and Shopping


I'm usually not one to gush about something I've heard or read; but in this case, if I'm to be honest, I have to say that 2 books I've recently read have changed me - or, more accurately, that God has used these 2 pieces of literature as instruments of change in my life. Gradual, just-beginning, slow, painful, marvelous and much-needed change.

The first of these, Don't Waste Your Life, by John Piper, has caused me to seriously rethink some of my life goals and as a result, how I spend my time. How can I live the moments of my everyday life in order to best enjoy and display God's supremacy for the joy of all people? This is the heart of the matter. I long to boast only in the cross of Christ, the blazing center of the glory of God, and nothing else. I long to pour my life into something that really matters - to make a durable difference in this world. I long to embrace pain and hardship as that which draws me so much closer to Jesus Christ. And after reading this book, I long to die well (whenever and however that may be) - as someone who prizes Christ above life itself.

God's glory shines more brightly when he satisfies us in times of loss than when he provides for us in times of plenty . . . When everything in life is stripped away except God, and we trust him more because of it, this is gain, and he is glorified. (p. 72-73)

In his concluding prayer: This is your love, O God, not to make much of me, but to do whatever must be done so that I waken to the joy of making much of you through all eternity.(p. 186)

It sounds silly, but after finishing the last sentence on the last page of the last chapter of this book, I felt like a cartoon character who's just been knocked down and sits there, stunned, with little birdies flying around his head. I knew that nothing would - nothing ever could - be quite the same. And yet, I'm so weak. When Jesus tells the disciples that "the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak", that resonates with me in every area of life. But what to do about it?????


Enter the second book: Shopping for Time: How to Do It All and NOT Be Overwhelmed. I believe God practically handed me this book on a silver platter! I was almost through reading about how not to waste my life, when Danny found this book in his office (having no idea where it had come from) and brought it home for me, thinking I might benefit from it.

Wouldn't you know - the very next day I got sick - so sick, in fact, that for 2 days I was pretty much couch-bound, with no strength to do anything but read this book (and watch the season finale of LOST)!

And in the 94 pages of this little volume, I found a wealth of practical ways to apply the first book - to begin to put feet to the desires of my heart. Carolyn and her daughters share valuable insight on five ways to make the best use of time: 1)Rise early (ugh), 2) Sit still, 3)Sit and plan, 4)Consider People, and 5)Plan to Depend.

Without getting too specific, I'll just say: I know what I need to do, and I'm trying by God's grace, to do it. I am deeply grateful for any prayers sent up on my behalf about all of this; I feel like more than ever before, my own inadequacies loom large before me, and I guess maybe this isn't a bad thing - just hard. I've had to face some difficult realities, one of them being that the way I spend my time and live my life speak to the fact that I don't treasure Christ above all else. Wow, that's really hard to type out. The flesh is indeed weak. Maybe I'll elaborate more in a future post; but for now, I pray that He will become greater in my life, and that I will become less.

But may it never be that I should boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me and I to the world. Galations 6:14

16 comments:

Kati said...

I was nodding my head in understanding the whole way thru your post, Charity. One thing that stood out at me about the second book is the part about rising early. I know, I echo your "ugh", but I truly believe--for me--its been the single most important practical step to growing closer to Him. For some reason, I think our hearts are just more teachable and tender in the early hours of the morning.

It is SO HARD, though, when you have little ones who get up very early. But if you truly desire to make it work, PRAY, and He'll provide a way.

It is really neat how God put those two books together for you. It's almost as if He knows exactly what we need when we need it?????

Anonymous said...

Good post, honey, but don't lose sight of the fact that the time you spend with your children, yes, even doing the mundane things for them, living your life before them and teaching them along the way...these are GREAT uses of your time at this season of your life. AND it is not a waste of your life. mom

Charity said...

kati - thanks for the encouragement. i haven't quite made it to the "5 AM club" as the book suggests, but I'm working on it! sleep is so overrated. :-)

mom - i didn't mean to imply that i feel like i'm wasting my life by staying at home with the kiddos. i've just been convicted that there are better ways to use the time i spend with them, and that I haven't prioritized spending time with God lately like i want to. but hopefully all that is about to change!

Anonymous said...

i only have to be a part of the 5:00 club during the school year. in the summer i move it back to 7 or 7:30, but that's a luxury for moms who have very independent children (or ones who sleep in until noon). i loved your post and the reading suggestion and am highly interested in those books!

~~anna~~ said...

Yesterday, I did a thorough cleaning and re-arranging of our living rm/dining rm/kitchen (One big room).Ok, I didn't re-arrange the kitchen area, but you get the idea! A thorough cleaning, sweeping, mopping and wiping down all surfaces (okay NOT the walls!). But I was doing a lot of decluttering (putting things where they actually belong!)
And what did I find in amongst a stack of Bob's stuff? A copy of "Don't Waste Your Life" by John Piper! hhhmmmmm....

Charity said...

Dee - i'd love to lend you either one! and just out of curiosity, what is the golden age when kids start sleeping past 6:30am?

anna - it must be a sign from God! :D I'd been wanting to read the book, and when I mentioned it to Danny, he said, 'Oh, I've had a copy in my office for several years.' I wish I could give a copy of "Don't Waste Your Life" to everyone I know!

shoemama said...

They sound like good books, although I do not agree with the "rise at 5:00AM " comment. they really say to rise at 5AM? Some of us are night people and think better at night. It drives me nuts in some of the books I read when they say you have to have your time with God in the morning, it's just important that you do it sometime during the day.

Anonymous said...

um, i think we had to wait for puberty to hit before they started really sleeping in.... :{

sorry i don't have better news.

and if you bring one of the books to church on sunday, i bet i can finish before i leave for costa rica :)

Kati said...

Just for anyone interested, I have succeeded in "training" my children not to get out of bed before 7am. This is not a joke. It took a lot of work for many months, but it worked. I would even go way out on a limb and say that it might even work with (gasp) babies!!

~~anna~~ said...

try putting a stack of books in the corner of their bed that they can look at quietly when they wake-up. Richard Scarry books are great! So much to see and investigate on each page!
I started putting board books in my babies' cribs when they could sit up by themselves!
I believe they both still enjoy reading in bed!

Charity said...

hannah - the authors of the book actually agreed with you on that; they mentioned that the time of day that's best to spend with God often varies depending on your life place and made a point of saying that it doesn't HAVE to be at 5am but looks different for everyone. i do know that if i don't rise early, there is NO guarantee that i will have time that day to spend with God, and by the time the kids go to bed, i'm usually fried - so for me, it's a must. and i think it's a good idea in general, but the specific time will be different for everyone. you should read the book and tell me what you think (good or bad!)

dee - you got it!

anna & kati - thanks for the suggestions. i may especially need to do some extra "training" this fall when we set the clocks back!

Anonymous said...

I really want to read Don't Waste Your Life! It's been on my 'to read' list forever and a day.

The other book looks good too, although I tend to read lots of great advice books when it comes to organizing and planning....and I generally get stuck in the sit and plan stage. I'm a great sitter and planner....not as great as long-term implementer. :(

Margaret said...

I have never been an early riser by nature (unlike my "very alive in the morning" husband, but I have learned the value of getting up and spending time with my Jesus before the day's schedule descends on me. It's still something I have to WORK at.

None of our children have ever been early risers and so I don't have to do the 5 thing; 6:30 works just as well for me.

I think I may have to read that Piper book; interestingly enough, I've been struggling lately with my life's purpose. Is it really meals, laundry, cleaning, etc? I know, I know...yes, it really is a part of where God wants me right now, but sometimes I just feel frustrated by it.

Sit/plan- that really is a vital part of not wasting the days. I don't know what I would do without my planner. For instance, I decided the month of June (before Adam's graduation) I was going to clean this place from top to bottom. I scheduled 15 days on my calendar to clean specific areas. Like Anna, I am sorting, throwing away, giving away and trying to simplify.

Anyway, I think I would benefit from both books. My reading list just keeps getting longer and longer...

Charity said...

Tarah - i have the opposite problem; the planning is the difficult part for me. i'm just not disciplined enough to sit down and do it! too bad we don't live closer to each other. there would be no stopping us if we could work together - i could just implement all your plans! :-)

margaret - i did the exact same thing . . . without the planning! we had an open house the weekend after mothers day, and for 2 weeks before it, i worked on specific areas of the house each day. i just kind of organized and cleaned whatever area bugged me most. at the end of 2 weeks, our house felt about twice as big, and a lot cleaner!

Chris said...

I just read something that said "A clean house is a sign of a broken computer"

Anonymous said...

Chris, I thought a clean house was a sign of someone with too much time on their hands, or slave labor of the kids (that's what my girls would have said back in the day!) OR someone with enough $$$ to hire a housekeeper. BUT your 'saying' sounds about right too! mm